The Best Movies To Watch When You're Sad

Because watching movies usually makes everything better.
355

College is equal parts the best years of your life and the worst. I can almost guarantee you that not one student went through their entire college career without feeling doubt or fear. Not one made it to graduation without thinking at least once that eating cookies until they fell into a coma would be a better decision than going to class. And let's be real, senior year is one of those bitter sweet times where you're excited and sad that this experience is almost over. It's scary going into the real world, especially if you're not too sure what you're doing after graduation.

Since there are many times during your college years where you feel like the world is crashing down around you, here is a list of movies that might make those moments a little easier. Because movies make everything better, even if it's just for that hour and a half that you're watching them.

To start this off, let's be clear. There are two very different types of people out there. Those who want to watch sad movies when they're sad (so they can cry it out, obviously) and those who want to laugh (to forget the pain). Since these two people exist, I will incorporate lists for both types out there because I care for you. All of you.

Cry-worthy Movies

1. "Bridge to Terabithia"

Ah, yes. This movie was rude and unnecessary for my 12-year-old heart. It's an adorable story about two kids who become friends, but shoot man — it just brings the water works to my eyes just thinking about it.

2. "Dead Poets Society"

I was late to the party for this one if I'm going to be honest. I only watched it maybe a month ago, and I can't even begin to tell you how absolutely amazing this film is. It's a classic. It's beautiful. Robin Williams is a God. And you will ugly cry like there is no tomorrow. Enjoy!

3. "The Fault in our Stars"

The book was amazing and heart wrenching, and the movie is just as perfect. It's adorable, loving and just so precious. You need to grab a box of tissues. I promise you'll need it.

4. "Seven Pounds"

This is another movie that I can't even think about without wanting to cry. It's such a beautiful one. It pulls on your heart strings while making you think of the world as a much more beautiful place. Also, Will Smith is in it so that's an automatic sell for this film.

5. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" (Part 1 & 2)

I couldn't decide to be honest. They both were such amazing movies and so many things happened in the end of the series that wrapped up the story of Harry Potter so beautifully. Part 2 is probably the saddest of the two, but they were both so perfect you will just weep knowing that it was a beautiful ending.

Laugh-worthy Movies

1. "Anchorman" (1 & 2)

These movies are so unbelievably silly, but they are just so funny. I mean if my dad will laugh out loud at them, then that's definitely a win.

2. "Airplane"

This movie is so hilarious that you almost have to watch it twice to see everything. It's definitely a movie you want to focus on so you don't miss anything. Definitely give it a chance.

3. "Animal House"

This movie is a pure classic. And there is no one better than John Belushi. It's a movie for all college students, and it's ridiculously funny.

4. "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

This is another one of those, it's-so-dumb-it's-funny movies that will have you dying. It's one of my all time favorites. And it's definitely one that will cure any sadness you have within you.

5. "Blazing Saddles"

It's raunchy, it's ridiculous, it's Mel Brooks. It's all you want in a movie and probably one of the best ones of all time. You seriously won't regret it.