21 Movies To See Before You Turn 21

21 Movies To See Before You Turn 21

Psst: If you're already 21+, you should still see these movies anyway.
1042

I am turning 21 in a few months. My friends are turning 21. With that in mind, I decided it was necessary to make a list of 21 movies to see before turning 21--some of which I have seen, and others which I must rush to watch before summer...

1. The Princess Bride (1987)

Talk about a classic. For those who did not grow up with The Princess Bride, it may seem "weird" and "absurd" but then isn't that the point? Its uniqueness is what makes the film such a great story that the entire family can enjoy.

2. The Sound of Music (1965)

Julie Andrews steals the show. As far as musicals go, The Sound of Music is a classic that nearly anyone can sing along to, whether or not they have seen the film.

3. Singin' in the Rain (1952)

All I'm saying is...if you don't sing or hum the title song on rainy days, you're missing out on life.

4. The Wizard of Oz (1939)

The classic of all classics, The Wizard of Oz is culturally one of the most necessary films that everyone should see at some point or another.

5. Forrest Gump (1994)

If you're looking for a Kleenex-box movie, Forrest Gump is the film for you. Tom Hanks charms audiences in his leading role, as usual, drawing you into the film from the beginning.

6. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Yet another Kleenex-box movie. Do not watch unless you are ready to shed some serious tears. Nonetheless, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial is worth seeing, at least once.

7. Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)

This one is for all the geeks out there (like myself). Star Wars is a classic, and A New Hope is what started it all. (Of course, the idea is not only to watch Episode IV but to continue on in the series...only being a list of 21 films required a very selective list, and so A New Hope is meant to be a jumping-off point).

8. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Another film for the geeks. Based on the series by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord if the Rings is a phenomenal cinematic trilogy everyone must see in his or her lifetime. (And as with A New Hope, The Fellowship of the Ring is meant to be a jumping-off point).

9. Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Harrison Ford seems to be a popular fellow, starring in both Star Wars and in the Indian Jones series. Raiders of the Lost Ark, the first of the series, is arguably the best film in the series, although of course Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade are worth seeing as well. (However, I refuse to acknowledge the existence of The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull...the filmmakers really should have stopped while they were ahead).

10. Jurassic Park (1993)

Jurassic Park will certainly keep audiences on the edge of their seats from beginning to end. Never have dinosaurs seemed so real...or terrifying. (In the best way possible, of course).

11. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)

Undoubtedly the best Pirates of the Caribbean film. To top it off, the film was based on a theme park ride, only doubling its greatness.

12. The Avengers (2012)

Only one word could possibly sum up this Marvel film: EPIC.

13. Inception (2010)

The title pretty much says it all. And with a score by Hans Zimmer, Inception earns its rightful spot on the list.

14. The Gladiator (2000)

Although filmed in the 2000s, The Gladiator has become one of the classics, a film which everyone must see...although, perhaps not at a young age.

15. Shawshank Redemption (2016)

Morgan Freeman alone is enough of a reason to see the film. An incredible movie about redemption, its excellent writing, phenomenal acting and good execution make Shawshank Redemption a must-see movie.

16. Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

Based on an incredible true story, Hacksaw Ridge is one army movie I would suggest for any and every person. Andrew Garfield takes on the role of Desmond and becomes the character--well enough audiences will forget he was ever in The Amazing Spider-Man.

17. While You Were Sleeping (1995)

Of course there had to be at least one romantic-comedy on the list. As far as romcoms go, While You Were Sleeping is one everyone--male or female--will enjoy. There will be laughter, there will be tears (oh the feels), and Sandra Bullock's character is both likable and relatable. And, of course, who doesn't love a good romance?

18. Beauty and the Beast (1991)

If a romcom had to make the list, of course Disney would not be far behind. Without a doubt, Beauty and the Beast is one of the most beloved Disney movies of all-time, and the best part is, it's a film the entire family will enjoy.

19. The Dark Knight Rises

I included The Avengers, and so I had to include DC on the list. The Dark Knight Rises is, in my opinion, the best Batman movie, although some would disagree. Regardless, the film is worth seeing.

20. The Bourne Identity (2002)

Matt Damon has his finest moments...and then his not so finest moments. In The Bourne trilogy, however, he well portrays the rogue Jason Bourne in a series that will capture audiences from the very beginning.

21. The Passion of the Christ (2004)

Not a light-hearted, easy-viewing film, to say the least. However, The Passion of the Christ is quite possibly the only "Bible movie" that is widely agreed upon as...well...good. Despite taking creative license, Mel Gibson takes the film in a direction that manages to not offend and yet offers a new light on the crucifixion story.