The 5 Best Foreign Movies Of All Time

The 5 Best Foreign Movies Of All Time

Why not break out of your movie shell a little bit?

40
The 5 Best Foreign Movies Of All Time

Foreign movies aren’t always publicized to us Americans. I do agree that the American Film industry does many amazing works of art, but so do other countries. There are many amazing foreign films out there that don’t even compare to what we are used to seeing in the American film industry. The foreign works of art consist of different types of cultures that speak through the characters in the films. Here are five of the most amazing films that I have seen thus far and strongly recommend that you should watch because these are in fact heartwarming yet eye-opening.

1. "Like Water for Chocolate" (Mexican)

Now this is a Spanish classic must-see movie, and it is in fact my number one favorite film. I mean, it is about my two favorite things—love and food—the best combination. The story is about a girl named Titi who happens to be the youngest daughter out of her family. According to an old family tradition, the youngest daughter is not allowed to get married because she must take care of her mother, until she passes away. Titi, of course falls in love with a young guy who asks for her hand in marriage. Then here comes the big plot twist, her mother declines but she proposes that he marries her older sister and he accepts. As Titi copes, she spends her years cooking in the kitchen where she cooks with such emotion and passion that her food has a powerful impact when you eat it. Everything about this film is poetic. Titi’s love for cooking is indescribable and makes you fall in love with her character.

2. "The Intouchables" (French)

Based on a true story, a quadriplegic man hires an inexperienced caregiver, in which an unlikely friendship develops. This is a dramatic film with a spunk of humor—you will literally find yourself hysterically laughing at some parts. It is the perfect heartwarming yet humorous friendship and yes, there will be some tears. This film definitely makes you want to reminisce on all the good times you and you’re best friend have had. The film pretty much speaks for itself so go on and watch it!

3. "The Edge of Heaven" (Turkish/German)

A Turkish prostitute encounters a German man who offers to marry her and take her off the streets. After the sudden death of the prostitute, the German man’s son, Nejat goes on a hunt for the prostitute’s daughter, Ayten. Ayten is a young activist who is in many ways seen as rebellious. Throughout the whole movie, each of the characters have crossed paths without even knowing it. (Which had me screaming at the screen.) One main thing that I loved about the movie is that there where obvious sexual orientations that would usually be frowned upon by other characters or contribute to the conflict in the plot but it did not. There is much deeper meaning to this movie that expressed, even though relationships can be complicated some are worth restoring. The film reflects the meaning of hope in an interesting way. My conclusion to this movie is that when you think all is lost there is still a little hope you can hold on to.

4. "Human Capital" (Italian)

"Human Capital" has a very different style to it, it will be confusing at first but you’ll catch on. The plot is told from various different perspectives of each character. It starts off with a cyclist who gets hit by a SUV on Christmas Eve, then it takes us back to all the events that occurred leading up to the accident. There are obvious different classes—the rich and the poor that lets us in on the actuality of the different life styles. Sometimes having it all isn’t everything, and it is a daily reminder that I feel that most of us need to keep in mind.

5. "On The Path" (Na Putu) (Bosnia and Herzegovina)

This film tells a story about a young couple, Luna and Amar, who live in Bosnia after the Bosnian War in the 1990s. After Amar is fired from his job after being drunk at work, he finds work in an Islamic community that changes his religious views. Amar’s religious beliefs eventually starts affecting his relationship with Luna. Luna’s journey in fighting to understand the changes that her significant other wants while involving her needs and wants, attributes to the whole plot of the film. What really stood out to me in this film was a women’s love not only to her significant other but to her body, spiritually and physically. Luna’s is seen as a very independent women who is tries to balance everything out. This movie rises many questions of morals and gives us a reminder that not everything is so black and white. Luna character is phenomenal and in fact is what made me fall so in love with this film. The end is really satisfying as well!

Each of these films have a different style of storytelling that make them different in a good way and personally, I feel makes it makes them way more intriguing. I know many people that don’t enjoy reading subtitles but I can assure that these movies are worth watching! So come on, change it up a bit, I promise you won’t be unsatisfied!