The Best Coffee Shops In Tulsa

The Best Coffee Shops In Tulsa

The 5 Best Places to Get Your Java Fix

734
The Best Coffee Shops In Tulsa
Instagram

There is something magical about a good cup of coffee and something even more magical about a good coffee shop. I start every morning with a cup of joe, whether it’s a double shot of espresso, a lavender latte, or a straight black coffee. I spend most of my nights studying or writing, usually in one of my favorite Tulsa coffee shops, where I can order up more java. I set aside money in my budget just to support my addiction to quality coffee. Do not walk lightly into the coffee shop life, kids. I’ve been on the prowl for great coffee in Tulsa ever since I started going to TU and spending most of my time in this city. Fortunately, Tulsa is crawling with quirky and flavorful places to fill your cup, and I have narrowed the search down to the 5 best shops.

5. Coffee House on Cherry Street

Though the coffee here is not the best on my list, the desserts definitely are. CHOCS usually sells a wide variety of pies, cakes, cookies, and muffins, including a delicious vegan cherry chocolate cake that I spent quite a few minutes obsessing over. Every dessert I’ve had here I have been more than happy with. The dimly-lit, cozy atmosphere is not the best for meetings or projects, but perfect for casually getting together with friends or reading by yourself. The espresso is very strong, so I recommend grabbing some food to go along with your drink and letting the introspective and poetic vibes sink in.

4. Chimera

I was surprised and delighted to see the range of vegan food available at Chimera, and the fact that the food is really really good. The location doesn't provide a great view, but the decor and the amazing coffee are worth it. I love getting a cup of the strong cold brew with the vegan club or the avocado BLT from their lunch menu. Their pour-overs are strong, but smooth, and well-appreciated by this coffee addict.

3. Shades of Brown

This is possibly the most artsy of the Tulsa coffee shops. You can find ceramics, plants, and local art on display and for sale all around the shop. it's located right on Brookside, so it's a great stop if you're making a shopping trip downtown or if you want a post-dinner coffee or dessert. It takes a while to serve your java, and the desserts can get pretty expensive for what you're getting, but it's a friendly place where the baristas usually fill up the waiting time with conversation.

2. Foolish Things

I spent quite a long time hearing about Foolish Things, but never going. Now, I am a regular, thanks to one especially wonderful lavender latte with almond milk. The room is bright and open, and the baristas are always friendly and knowledgeable. I try not to come here when I’m in a hurry, because it usually takes a little longer than, say, Starbucks, to roast your coffee. It is so worth the wait. I personally love taking friends to Foolish Things for lunch and getting the prosciutto, tomato, mozzarella, and basil pesto sandwich.

1. The Phoenix

It’s not a big secret to anyone who knows me at all that The Phoenix is my favorite coffee shop. What is it that makes me love this place so much? Is it the rich yet smooth espresso expertly mixed with flavors by friendly and talkative baristas? Is the book room in the back where I can read on a comfy couch in quiet or shop for used books while sipping my coffee? Is it the plethora of table-for-two's where I can plug in my laptop and write articles and research papers without feeling like I’m taking up too much space? Is it the open room in the front where my friends and I can sit around a big table and play one of the many board games The Phoenix has available? It might just be all of these. The Phoenix is open from 6:30 AM to 2 AM on the weekends (they’re open until midnight during the week). I recommend going there in the early afternoon or late at night. You can’t visit The Phoenix without trying their chai latte, so please get that at least once in your lifetime. They have amazing bagels and desserts, as well, that taste even better after 10 pm for some reason.