The Best Advice I Was Given

The Best Advice I Was Given

...by my AP Psychology teacher who didn't even have a degree in Psychology.

4
The Best Advice I Was Given

I remember the exact instance of when I was given the best advice: it was the first week of classes in high school so the teachers did not do anything besides introduce themselves and go over the syllabus. I was sitting in my psychology class and my teacher started introducing himself, he really went all out and made a PowerPoint. He included stuff about his family, where he went to school, and then he stated that he was a big fan of traveling. The last few slides were photos of him traveling all over the world, and it really was amazing to see how many places he has been to. And I remember what he told us because it has stuck with me ever since. What he said was "Get the heck out of here," and as I and the rest of the class laughed, I realized that it was great advice and I strive to travel to many places in the future.

What he meant by "here" was my hometown. Now I live in a small town that consists mostly of large open fields taken care of by the local farmers and a few restaurants here and there. I would call my town more like the country, and to prove a point, I want to add that during spirit week for my high school, there was a whole day called "farmer day" where everyone wore "farmer clothes" like overalls and jeans (we had uniforms when it wasn't spirit week) and our parking lot was filled with tractors since kids drove them to school. So again, I live in a small, country town and I'm not saying it's horrible here, but as my teacher was going through the photos he has taken from all over the world, I realized that there is so much out there that I want to see.

Traveling has so many benefits because it gets a person out of their comfort zone. Since people usually travel to places they are unfamiliar with, the comfortableness of home is gone. Experiencing new things also can make a person nervous, but I one hundred percent believe that it is worth it. If you don't end up liking the experience, at least you can say you did it. Traveling is fun because you can learn about new things and people and it helps people become more understanding. If you were looking for a sign to tell you to go on that trip, this is it. Go on that trip and have the best time of your life. Try and see, listen, and enjoy everything about your trip because I promise you're going to look back and be so grateful you went.