The Balance of Leadership

The Balance of Leadership

Keeping a steady balance between friendly and authoritative, in my opinion, is the best way to lead.

14
The Balance of Leadership
incontact.com

I find that everything in life is based upon moderation: walking the tight rope between two chasms. As someone in college who has multiple leadership positions, I've been having an internal struggle lately about what kind of leader I want to be and how I want to motivate people to be passionate and participate in the groups and responsibilities I'm in charge of.

Referring back to my other article about how being in marching band taught me leadership, its important to treat the people you're managing with kindness, respect, and equality. However, this could perhaps be one of the chasms I fell into.

Let me explain.

One chasm is being an authoritative leader, which is almost like being a dictator. Its barking orders and using negativity and fear to motivate people. On the other end of the chasm is a leader that is kind and compassionate.

The later of the two sounds better, correct? However, I feel that sometimes the friendly leader can be pushed over, like one of those inflatable toys that you punch and slowly wobbles back up, keeping the friendly smile on its face.

Therefore, the perfect leader is in the middle. Someone that is well liked and can be respected when they make an unfavorable point because they stem their ideas from compassion and logic.

Being in the middle can be like walking a tight rope that's constantly wiggling. Its hard and precarious. And the leader has to keep their emotions in check and think and then rethink all of their reactions to problems that may arise.

When a someone in charge faces adversity, as I have currently and in the past, the knee jerk reaction is to tighten the control, crack down, and be authoritative. But that's not necessarily the way the correct way to handle the situation.

In my opinion, when situations arise, you need authoritative enough to express to others that there is a problem and compassionate enough that you address the grievances of other, but outline a plan where everyone can grow from the experience.

In times of prosperity, you also need to maintain the balance. Sometimes leaders can be too nice and others can take advantage. When it comes to times of adversity, if you allow your self to be pushed over prior, then no one will take you seriously or respect you.

Keeping a steady balance shall ensure that you are a respected and liked leader.