The Art Of Creating Art

The Art Of Creating Art

Outsiders have called our majors and jobs "easy" but I don't think those people truly know or can even begin to acknowledge the difficulties and struggles that are in the process of making art

75
The Art Of Creating Art
Eleftheria Giannopoulos

Have you ever gone to a museum or a show and been completely blown away by a piece? If you haven't, go out and get cultured. I'm a student in the College of Visual and Performing Arts where we create all kinds of art every single day. We create performing arts, dances, sculptures, paintings, music, etc. and once we're done, we get the amazing opportunity to showcase our hard work.

Outsiders have called our majors and jobs "easy" but I don't think those people truly know or can even begin to acknowledge the difficulties and struggles that are in the process of making art.

First off, you need to be inspired. And I know what you're thinking... that's the easy part. Literally, anything can serve as a concept of a work of art. The hard part comes when you begin to execute your inspirations and visions. Sometimes you will need people, volunteers, bodies to do so and finding willing people and then coordinating times to work is hard since everyone is busy these days. Other times you have a clear idea of what you want but you don't know how to transcribe it the way you see it in your mind for people to fully understand what you're trying to get at.

Resources is also a huge factor in making art. You need a space or a studio to be able to be creative and that can be tricky to acquire. If you need to set a rehearsal, that can be even more complicated when you're juggling fourteen different schedules and only three time slots that can kind of work. Sometimes you need art supplies or certain equipment and costumes and that can cost money and even if you do acquire what you need, visions change and mistakes happen so you might not even end up using the resource.

The process can take weeks, months, and even years to be fully realized. Once completed, you need to share it and that opens a whole new can of worms of finding an audience and being able to provide an environment to display your work. And the negative thoughts love to overpower our minds--What if nobody likes what you created? What if your vision, though completed, isn't what you thought it would be?

Creating art is an art in itself. It takes time, patience, space, and the occasional meltdown when things aren't going the way you anticipated. It's how we express ourselves and how we communicate with the rest of the world. Artists know what it takes to reach their full potential and we understand that it's a field where the pay is not typically high but the reward is. We willingly pick a field that is hard to make it big in but we do it because we can't live without our art. Being in the arts is not for everyone but the few who do choose this path tend to be happier with their lives because they get to do what they love every day.