The Art Of Being Mindful

The Art Of Being Mindful

How to practice mindfulness.

77
The Art Of Being Mindful
Unsplash

What exactly is being mindful? Or practicing mindfulness? I never came across this term until one day I decided to Google "how to live in the moment" and almost every other link had the word "mindful" in it. I felt like life was going by too fast, almost as though the days were simply melding together. I wanted to slow down and actually enjoy life without rushing through it. But I feel like I'm not alone and that this happens to the best of us, especially in this day and age. We're so busy with our lives and consumed by our electronics, that it seems like sometimes we forget to just breathe.... and live.

Being mindful is almost an art form, and I personally feel like I need to practice it everyday or I'll lose touch with it. When you first start practicing mindfulness, it may be overwhelming because you might not know where to even start. But I can tell you from experience that the benefits are incredible. You start noticing things that you never realized were there; and find joys in the simplest aspects of life.

This may not work for everyone, but here's what I personally practice to live mindfully. ...

Meditation. I used to think that meditation took too long, or about all the things I could be doing rather than meditating. But then I realized, what's ten minutes of my day? Just taking the time to meditate even for 5 minutes each morning helps me feel great the entire day. There are so many awesome tutorials online for meditating; or you can simply practice breathing exercises. It also increases my productivity, so I think putting aside 10 minutes a day is worth it.

Live in the present. I used to think a lot about the past, or the exact opposite where I would over plan my future. You have to be content with the fact that the past has already occurred, and the best thing to do would be to learn lessons from your experiences and then let them go. On the other end, you also have to understand that the future will come regardless of whether you worry or not. Of course planning is great to keep your life on track, but trying to imagine ever possible scenario of what may come will do you no good. So try to focus on whatever it is you are doing at that exact moment. Whether it's waking your dog, reading a book, or come thing incredibly boring, place your full attention on that. As Einstein once said, "I don't worry about the future because it'll come soon enough."

Do nothing. Sounds simple right? Not for everyone. I used to feel so guilty just sitting and doing absolutely nothing. All the things I could be doing would be spiraling in my mind. But then I realized it's completely okay to take some time to yourself and enjoy doing nothing. You don't have to constantly be doing homework, socializing, cooking, etc. Sometimes what your mind craves is time to just sit, or look out the window. It allows both you mind and body to re-energize itself and get ready for the rest of the day.

Don't let time control you. Of course time is essential in today's world, since many of our plans may revolve around it. It's alright to keep an eye on the time when you need to do something at a particular point in the day, but don't obsess over it. The idea of modern time is a man-made concept, and you shouldn't let it dictate every move you make. Keep an eye on the clock, but focus more on the task at hand.

Thoughts are just thoughts. It's alright to just let them pass, there's no need to react to every thought you have. Sometimes the ideas in your head seem so real, and overpowering that you ignore what's actually happening in front of you. Remember your thoughts can only control you if you allow them too. Being so wrapped up on the imaginary of your own mind takes you away from what is happening in the present.

Those are the main points I follow to live mindfully, and although it is a process it can be achieved by anyone!