The 'American Dream' Mall Is NOT The American Dream, And If It Is, We Should Be Ashamed

What could you possibly do in a mall without stores?

131

The American Dream mall has opened, but stores aren't scheduled to open for another year. What could you possibly do in a mall without stores? Perhaps you want to take a trip to the indoor ski slopes, or even to the indoor aquarium, all of which are now accessible amenities in this brand new supermall near MetLife stadium. Let's take a look at whether this mall is welcomed by the Tri-State area.

Excess traffic?

Flickr

The new mall is expected to draw 40 million people and members of the New Jersey government have been very outspoken about the project, one senator stating the area will be so congested that visitors will have difficulty getting there. Public transport, however, is expected to be improved, and there is even consideration for helipads on-site as well.

A response to increased online shopping

Wikipedia

Whenever I need to buy something quickly and I don't feel like making the drive to a store, I usually will order items from Amazon or other online stores. It's more convenient if you're short on time/money as you can usually find things cheaper this way. However, there are times when you set aside a day for shopping, and I think this is the target audience for the American Dream. With all the indoor attractions that will be featured in the American Dream mall, the goal seems to be to create a larger experience than a typical mall provides, one that people can plan their entire weekend's around.

Environmental impact

Flickr

The new mall has been built over wetlands and landfills in the area. The environmental protection agency warns how important wetlands are for not only the ecology in the area, but also contribute positively towards our economy. Examples include the fishing and farming industries. This area also acts as a form of natural drainage and protect against flooding.