The Albatross Around My Neck

The Albatross Around My Neck

Procrastination is the mother of stress.

215
The Albatross Around My Neck

If anyone has read “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner”, the idea of an albatross around the neck probably makes a bit more sense. If not, I’ll try to explain. Have you ever done something that you know is stupid but you do it anyway? You know the consequences aren’t worth it, and it doesn’t pay off in the long run, but still you insist on doing said stupid thing. That’s your albatross.

Today I’d like to address my own: procrastination. I have a tendency to leave my responsibilities to the very last minute possible, resulting in missing opportunities from being late for deadlines, staying up for all hours to finish major assignments, or giving my family (and roommate) a heart attack for being the last to do anything. I’m the girl who’s always 30 minutes late to everything, yet still manages to get by with mediocrity.

You’d think that my recognition of this sorry state would be enough to inspire me to strive for greater achievements or my fullest potential, right? Wrong. Instead, I just realize that it’s worked for me before, so why not try it time and time again?

The back of my hand is covered with permanent marker, explaining in detail the tasks I have to accomplish for every day. Despite the fact that the amount of things I seem to get done is a massive load, none of these things are beneficial to my studies, extracurriculars, or mental/physical well being.

Early this morning (at 3:30 to be exact), I found myself downing high caffeine energy drinks and cups of coffee, rapidly typing up bs words to embellish a paper that I was assigned MONTHS ago. I knowingly waited to start until the pressure of the paper (the “big ugly”) was placing my head on the guillotine. Oh, how proud my parents must be!

As a closing statement, I’d like to comment that high ACT scores, a reputation for intelligence, and a pair of wire-framed glasses do not make you “smart”. Intellect cannot be placed in a box with an expectation for certain types of people to fit in. Instead, intellect derives from a recognition of responsibility, a drive to succeed to your fullest abilities, and a daily attempt to not give in to your own Albatross (A lesson that I myself need to learn and adopt as a charism.)