The "ABCs" Of The University Of Illinois

I-L-L...

217

Two weekends ago, I made the quick trip back down to Chambana to move out of my sorority house. I had never seen campus so quiet and lonely. And while I'm sitting at home after finishing my sophomore year, my heart is longing for one more walk on the Quad or one last Monday Night Kams.

Here is a compiled list of the "ABCs" of the University of Illinois, and 26 things that all Illini students can relate to.

A. Alma Mater

Instagram

The Alma statue is an iconic part of campus, serving as a symbol of the school. It wouldn't be a day on campus without passing a tourist taking a picture in front of this statue.

B. Barn Dance

Lauryn Smith

Barn Dance is one of the best parts about going to school in the "south" ;). Name another time that you get to put on cowboy boots and overalls and get drunk in the middle of a barn while jamming out to some country music. Literally my dream.

C. Cornfields

Instagram

Oftentimes, people make fun of Illinois by claiming that it's literally in the middle of nowhere. And while that could be true, us Illinois students love to embrace it. Shoutout to the Morrow Plots (if you know, you know).

D. Downtown Champaign

Downtown Champaign seriously does not get enough recognition. My friends and love to go there from time to time as it is such a good escape from campus. They have amazing restaurants and a super trendy vibe and nightlife. Definitely a good reminder that we maybe aren't actually in the middle of nowhere.

E. Engineers

Instagram

Outsiders LOVE to point out that U of I is only good for their engineering. Though I beg to differ, I will admit that I do have a slight obsession with the Engineering Quad and it's by far one of my favorite parts of campus. Clearly we can see where Illinois likes to spend its big bucks (that and Gies of course).

F. Frat Park

Lauryn Smith

Frat Park is the hub for greek life on campus. I spent most of my freshman year trudging across that muddy grass as I ventured from frat to frat (and then back to my dorm for some good late night snacks).

G. Green Street

Instagram

Green Street is one of the most iconic parts of Champaign. Green Street is home to some of UIUC's best restaurants, apartment buildings, bars, and stores. Just about everything you will ever need while away from school you can find on or right off Green. CANNOT wait for the Target to be built so soon and then my life will be complete!

H. Happy Hour

Lauryn Smith

Happy Hour every Friday is by far one of my favorite things about the social life at U of I. First of all, going out in a sweatshirt? Sign me up any day. And the best part is that you're home and in bed by ten o'clock. Again, sign me up.

I. Ice Out

Ironic because my brother doesn't even go to U of I (but this was his initiation).Lauryn Smith

Ice Out is a very unique tradition to UIUC students, but definitely one of the most iconic. Nothing compares to the joy of sticking your hand in a sticky drink, scooping and dumping all the ice onto the floor, and chugging it like there's no tomorrow.

J. Jarling's

Lauryn Smith

This list would be incomplete without a tribute to my second home and the one place on campus that never disappoints. Currently dreaming of a snowstorm topped with their famous cold fudge.

K. Kams

Lauryn Smith

The new Kams that opened this year is by far my fav bar on campus (not that it's such a tough competition). Pair a blue guy, some good music, and your girlies and you've got a great night ahead.

L. Lincoln's Nose

Instagram

Rubbing Lincoln's Nose at Lincoln Hall is something that a lot of students do for good luck on an exam. Clearly I have no sense of tradition because I've never actually done this, but I'll let you know when I do.

M. Maize

Lauryn Smith

Maize is hands down the best Mexican food I've ever had. Their tacos are INSANE, along with their chips and guac, fajitas, and queso fundido (and pretty much everything else on the menu oops). Makes the best meal, drunk or sober.

N. Nineteen

Lauryn Smith

The bar legal age being nineteen is easily one of the best parts of going to Illinois. Unfortunately, I have an August birthday, so I spent most of freshman year slumming it at awful frat parties and Monday Night Joe's (low key love Joe's now though).

O. Orange Krush

Instagram

The Orange Krush is the student section for the basketball games where wearing being decked out in orange is a necessity. The Orange Krush roared even louder this past year when our basketball team actually got good!!!! It was definitely unfortunate that we got robbed from finishing our season strong after finally making it into the March Madness Tournament (personally one of my favorite times of the year), but it makes me even more excited for next year's season.

P. Peoria Charter

Lauryn Smith

Thankful for this bus for providing endless transportation to and from the burbs for many UIUC students. Illini shuttle, you have been replaced.

Q. Quad

Instagram

Catch me laying out on the quad as soon as it's above fifty degrees. The Quad is actually underrated in my opinion, and is definitely beautiful to walk around on a nice, sunny day. Shoutout to Altgeld Hall, South Quad, the Natural History Building, and the marble steps inside of Lincoln Hall for being my favorite spots on campus.

R. Red Lion

Lauryn Smith

Lion is kind of a rite of passage when you go to U of I. I remember how excited I was to get to go for the first time (see pic from the letter "N"). I would be lying if I didn't say it got a little old this year especially when Kams wasn't open, but I am SO excited for their new renovations. Kams better watch out.

S. Saturday Block

Lauryn Smith

On a nice fall or spring Saturday morning, there is nothing better than Saturday block. Block is a long standing tradition to UIUC that has served the place of traditional "tailgates" for decades. One of my most memorable times of this past year was spent at Saturday block, when U of I proudly beat Wisconsin and I got to witness the magic unfold.

T. Twenty Two Illini

Instagram

The buses are actually a much bigger deal at U of I than at least what I've noticed at other colleges. Thankful for the 22N and 22S to help me get to class when the temperature is below zero or I'm too lazy to walk somewhere.

U. Unofficial

Lauryn Smith

Unofficial is one of Illinois's most unique traditions. What other school has a random Friday in March dedicated to wearing green, getting drunk, and going to the bars in honor of St. Patrick's Day? Unfortunately, the bar age is 21 on Unofficial due to the many liabilities involved, but I cannot wait to celebrate the "holiday" for real during my senior year.

V. Veoride

Instagram

Some schools have bird scooters, but we have veoride bikes. Definitely on my bucketlist to ride one of these things before I graduate.

W. Winning at nothing...except maybe this year?

Instagram

One of the biggest criticisms that I've gotten about U of I is that we SUCK at sports...it's kind of been a running joke at this point (especially with my friends who go to insane sports schools like Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin). While this may have been true in the past, this year the Illini proved that they are worthy of a spot in the Big Ten. In both football and especially basketball, we improved tremendously, pulling out a series of shocking wins. I have even more confidence in our teams in the future, and I can't wait for us to continue to show people what the Illini are made of.

X. "X" Walks (aka the diagonal cross walks)

Okay, I know I'm cheating here a little bit, but I think I've done pretty well so cut me some slack for the letter "X" please. This is so random, but one of my favorite parts about U of I and something that I think makes it so unique are the diagonal cross walks at many of the intersections across campus. Crossing diagonally from one corner of the street to another makes me feel like the ultimate badass.

Y. You're NOT from Chicago?

Lauryn Smith

At least from my own experiences, most people that I'm close to at school are from Chicago/its surrounding suburbs. Therefore, meeting people out of state or even just a different part of Illinois is so exciting and interesting for me. Don't even get me started on the Townies.

Z. Zoom

Instagram

Would this be list complete without a Zoom reference? Yes, but unfortunately I needed a letter Z.