The 7 Stages Of Unpacking As A College Student

We do not mind moving all the time, but unpacking is a very different story

112
On Stage & Screen

Every year as college students, we move—A LOT. We move to and from school and sometimes we even move during the school year. We move from tiny dorm rooms to sororities to apartments to our parent's basements. Moving is just a part of life when you're in college. We get used to it, but the one thing we don't get used to is unpacking. It sucks and there is just no way around it. Here are the painful stages of unpacking we go through every—single—time.

1. Unpacking the car

You were just stuck in your car for the last however many hours, and you are ready for some physical activity. Usually, unloading the car is preceded by quite a few hugs and your mom trying to feed you, but ultimately it is still one of the first things you do when you get home.

2. Setting all the boxes down and remembering how much stuff you have

When it's all packed up in the car it looks like a lot but spread out all over your room it looks like even more. Why are there so many boxes? What is even in the boxes? How do I have enough stuff to fill all these boxes?

3. Is unpacking the boxes really necessary?

This is the point where you consider every option that is not unpacking. Usually, that involves food, movies, family time, and sleep—all before you are ready to consider unpacking as an option.

4. Having to be the serious unpacker...

Your friends may want to come over. Your mom may want to spend time with you. Your little brother might ride in on a freaking horse... but no, you have to be the sassy and serious unpacker because these boxes won't unpack themselves.

5. Hitting the breaking point

Eight boxes in and you are ready to throw away all of your possessions and become the biggest minimalist in history.

6. Finally getting your clothes put away

Your clothes are put away, no matter how many you have. Everything is so cute, so organized, so NOT IN BOXES. It's the best feeling ever.

7. Realizing that your unpacking days are over

At least for now, but currently your life is organized. It's not a mess and you know where your stuff is; it's a great feeling.

Now, I'm off to unpack just like you all. Good luck!