The 5 Biggest Transitions From Freshman To Sophomore Year

Who said transitions were just for freshmen?

266
dvrlists.com

Freshman year was scary, exciting and overwhelming all within the same minute. By the time we reach sophomore year, we like to think we know the ropes a little bit better; we've done this all before, and are back to do it again and better. There's no more fear about finding classes, not knowing people, or gaining that freshman fifteen, but us sophomores still have a few things to learn. Some of the biggest transitions occur not in the first few weeks of freshman year, but at the beginning of sophomore year, when everything is (kinda but not really) new again.

1. A new living situation

Whether you're living in a different, sophomore dorm somewhere else on campus, in off-campus housing, or a sorority house, sophomore year definitely comes with a new living arrangement. Maybe you have a kitchen now and have to clean your own bathroom. Maybe you're living with different people and you're not quite sure how that will go. Or maybe you're adjusting to being in a different building than all of your friends from last year. Whatever the case, living in a new place is harder than one may think at first.

2. More specialized classes

Freshman year, most of us took a lot of classes to fill requirements or be able to advance in some subject. Once sophomore year comes around, you probably have a better idea what you want to do with your life and have more freedom to take classes accordingly. Taking three classes for your major when freshman year you were just learning the basics can be stressful, but that's the beauty of advancing in the field you're truly interested in.

3. Not being the youngest person on campus

Admit it: freshman year you would blame being a naive freshman for some mistakes you made. No longer are you the fresh meat on campus, so gone are the days of claiming you didn't know better than to be late to class or wear a lanyard with your ID on it. There's a certain pride that comes with being in the middle of the pack now, as well as a sense of responsibility because you're supposed to know what you're doing now.

4. More involvement

This may not apply to everyone, but a lot of the time once you become a sophomore, your responsibilities grow as does your time spent doing certain activities. You may now be on the board of your organization and have weekly meetings, be devoting more time and energy to Greek life, or meeting new people through other activities. All of these things are amazing and can be a big change from the random meetings and endless free time you had at the beginning of freshman year.

5. A new meal plan

At a lot of schools, sophomores don't even have meal plans; at others, they do but they are much more limited than they were freshman year. The options are no longer endless, and a lot of your meals are probably up to you to make now. For the culinary challenged like me, this transition can be a tough one that leads to many nights of easy mac for dinner.