The 4 Rutland Hangout Spots You'll Find Bored College Kids Who Are Home For The Summer

Adventure is calling.

26
Photo by Jacob Tanen

At first glance it may seem there’s not much to do in Rutland, VT, but for a local teenager there’s more than meets the eye. Here are four spots you’ll find my bored college friends while we're home for the summer.

Chittenden Reservoir

While it may be a twenty minute drive from the heart of Downtown Rutland, the Chittenden Reservoir serves as the perfect escape for those looking to dive into the area's natural beauty. Offering a picturesque view of the Green Mountains, the reservoir's boat launch serves as the perfect place to take a refreshing dip, sunbathe or stargaze. From camping to kayaking to just plain loitering, summer memories center around this gem.

Pine Hill Park

When I was introduced to Pine Hill Park five years ago by the Rutland High School Cross Country team, I had no idea what was in store for me. What lay behind Giorgetti Arena was a set of scenic and diverse running and biking trails that, even after five years, my friends and I have yet to grow bored of venturing through. Between Downtown Rutland and Proctor, this park's vast array of paths provide a riding, running and hiking experience of seemingly endless exploration.

The Coffee Exchange Cafe

For someone who may not find the wilderness as their cup of tea, I’d recommend a cup of tea here instead. Located at the corner of Center Street and Merchants Row, this cafe serves a varied arrangement of customers. From a quiet place to ponder your existence to a place to meet up on that first date (or eighth date), the CE offers a lax and calming atmosphere that just about any lover of java could find enjoyment in. From a wide selection of beverages, pastries and sandwiches, the Coffee Exchange is a must on any Sunday afternoon itinerary.

Clarendon Gorge

If you're looking for a more reserved area to swim, or a nice hike along some rocks with those buddies you haven't seen since high school, check this place out. While it may be a little rough on the feet here and there, the journey upstream is definitely a rewarding one. Offering the best soundtrack nature can buy, the sound of the water rapids will satisfy anyone looking for that calm and relaxing aura of the woods.