The 15 Most Dangerous Airlines in the World

Yeah, you're probably better off driving in these countries.

3080
wikimedia.com

Flying is safer than driving a car, right? That’s the argument most use when trying to calm nervous jet-setters. Unfortunately, the comforting numbers skew depending on where you are in the world.

Have Your Voice Heard: Become an Odyssey Creator

LaMia Airlines Flight 2933 crashed in Colombia this week, killing 76 people, mostly composing members of the Chaperones Brazilian football squad. Little is known about the chartered jet’s safety rating, and it has spurred questions about just how secure the flight was.

The European Union has had concerns over international airlines for years. They publish a banned airline list marking companies in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Indonesia and Iraq as too dangerous to fly over Europe.

AirlineRatings.com takes it a step further, rating some of the world’s most dangerous airlines. According to the site, which awards points based on an analysis of crash data and Operational Safety (IOSA) and Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) audits, 15 world airlines scored lower than a two on a seven-point scale.

15. AirAsia Indonesia

The airline based in Indonesia scored a 2/7.

14. Airlines PNG

The airline based in Papua New Guinea scored a 2/7. It had fatalities in 2011 but scored a 4/8 on its ICAO audit.

13. Ariana Afghan Airlines

The airline based in Afghanistan scored a 2/7, and it's been banned by the European Union and has no ICAO audit.

12. Blue Wing

The airline based in Suriname, South Africa scored a 2/7 and is banned by the European Union

11. Daallo Airlines

The airline based in Dubai scored 0/8 on its ICAO audit and has a 2/7 rating according to airlineratings.com. It has been banned by the European Union.

10. Kalstar Aviation

The airline based in Indonesia has no ICAO audit and has a 2/7 rating according to airlineratings.com. It has been banned by the European Union.

9. Kam Air

The airline based in Kabul has no ICAO audit and has a 2/7 rating according to airlineratings.com. It has been banned by the European Union.

8. NOK Air

The airline based in Thailand has a 2/7 rating.

7. Sriwijaya Air and Nam Air

The airline based in Indonesia scored has a 2/7 rating and has been banned by the European Union.

6. TransNusa

The airline based in Indonesia scored a 2/7 rating and has been banned by the European Union.

5. Tropic Air

The airline based in Belize has a 2/7 rating.

4. XPressAir

The airline based in Indonesia has a 2/7 rating and has been banned by the European Union.

3. Yeti Airlines

The airline based in Nepal has a 2/7 rating and has been banned by the European Union.

2. Nepal Airlines

The airline based in Nepal scored a 1/7.

1. Tara Air