The 12 Women Who Inspire Me

The 12 Women Who Inspire Me

Everyone has an inspiration

12
The 12 Women Who Inspire Me
history.com

Who inspires you? Everyone has someone they look up to and admire, whether it be a family member or a celebrity. Throughout my life, I have been inspired and influenced by so many women. Here is a list of the 13 women who have inspired me and made me the person I am today.

1. Jennifer Goins (my mother): My mom was a teen mother. However, she never let that stop her from achieving her goals. She graduated high school as one of the top of her class, she went on to nursing school, and received her nursing degree and still made time to be there for me and my sister. My mom has showed me that you can do whatever you set your mind to, no matter the situation.

2. Audrey Hepburn (actress): Audrey Hepburn is still considered one of the most beautiful women in film today. However, it was her outspoken nature and her commitment to the care of others that inspires me. She worked with UNICEF for most of her life, going into extreme conditions to give food and help to those in need. Audrey told us all that "nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm possible"".

3. Grace Kelly (actress, Princess of Monaco): Grace Kelly lived a fairy tale that most girls can only dream of. She found success as an actress and the muse of horror master Alfred Hitchcock, earning herself an Oscar nod and win, as well as three Golden Globes. However, Grace walked away from Hollywood to embark on yet another great adventure; becoming the Princess of Monaco. Despite this glamourous lifestyle, Grace remained dedicated to philanthropies, helping to expand the arts in Monaco. Grace showed everyone that you can be a movie star, a princess, and a world changer if you set your mind to it.

4. Misty Copeland (principal dancer of the American Ballet Theater): Misty Copeland changed ballet history when she became the first African-American ballerina to dance as the principal dancer for the American Ballet Theater. After facing numerous rejections and naysayers, Misty proved everyone wrong by dancing the part of Odette/Odile in Swan Lake, becoming the first African-American to do so. Misty inspires me by showing me that you can overcome your obstacles as long as you listen to your heart and not your haters.

5. Bethany Hamilton (professional surfer and shark attack survivor): Bethany Hamilton was just a normal 13-year-old girl until the day her life changed forever. An aspiring professional surfer, Bethany had been out surfing with her best friend and her family when a tiger shark attacked her, biting off her left arm. Bethany miraculously survived her attack and went on to become one of the top female professional surfers despite her injury. Bethany is an inspiration because she didn't let her disability stop her from pursuing her dreams.

6. Sadie Robertson (reality TV personality): Sadie Robertson shot to fame in the A&E reality show Duck Dynasty. Along with her family, she became an instant superstar. Sadie, however, has not let her fame define who she is. Sadie is an activist for teenagers everywhere and is not afraid to share her Christian faith with anyone. I love this about her, because there are not many teenage role models to look up to. Sadie became that role model.

7. Blair Waldorf (a character from the television show Gossip Girl): I know, I know, she's not a real person, but hear me out. Blair Waldorf taught me many things. While it is true that Blair is not always the nicest person, she did teach me that if you really want something, you have to work your butt off to get it. Blair also taught me that you have to struggle to find your happy ending. Everything may not be sunshine and roses, but if you really try, you can have your happy ending after all.

8. Lady Gaga (singer and actress): Let me just come out and say it: Lady Gaga is amazing! Most people consider her to be eccentric and weird, but I love that she embraces her inner weirdo. I also love that she doesn't care what people think about her. She is who she is and she accepts herself. That is something we should all aspire to. She also advocates for anti-bullying and for empowerment. These areas are crucial to teenagers today and they need someone to stand up for them. Thankfully, Lady Gaga is there to do that.

9. Adele (singer): Adele has one of the most beautiful voices in music. She also is not your typical pop star. She embraces her weight and her shape and isn't self-conscious in a world filled with super skinny pop stars. Adele is beautiful in so many ways and I love how she isn't afraid to be herself.

10. Kate Middleton (The Duchess of Cambridge): Kate Middleton is yet another example of the commoner becoming the princess. Kate has become a symbol of the royal family along with her husband, Prince William, and their two children, Prince George and Princess Charlotte. Kate has embraced her role as Duchess of Cambridge with grace and poise. She has not buckled under the immense amount of pressure that the royal family and the world have put on her. I aspired to be so calm and collected in the face of stress and pressure and she has inspired me to remember that things could always be a lot worse.

11. Demi Lovato (singer and actress): Demi Lovato has been through hell and has come out on top. Demi struggled with eating disorders and depression for years, finally having a meltdown in 2011. After that, she checked into a treatment facility for depression and bulimia. Now fully recovered, Demi has used her experiences to bring attention to body image issues and eating disorders. Demi has given a voice to the millions of young people who suffer from these conditions. Demi may have had a rough start, but she has definitely turned her life around.

12. Jennifer Lawrence (actress): Jennifer Lawrence has had it made for the past few years. From her starring role as Katniss Everdeen in the Hunger Games franchise to her recent role as Joy Magano in the movie Joy, Jennifer has been at the top of her game. She is also using her voice and her role as a public figure to speak out against the image that Hollywood puts on actresses, both young and old. Jennifer is a pioneer in modern feminism for Hollywood actresses and I love that about her. She isn't afraid to speak out against the pressures that Hollywood has put on actresses for decades and for that, she should be an inspiration to all women.

These powerful women are the ones who inspire me to be a better woman every day of my life. The ones who make me see the world in a different light. The ones who are making a better world for people everywhere. They deserve to be recognized for the amazing things they have done and the impact they have made on not only myself but on the world.