Why My Major Is Not a Mistake

Why My Major Is Not a Mistake

Why you shouldn't criticize a student's major.

26
Why My Major Is Not a Mistake
SimpleTuition

Picking your major. This may be one of the most important decisions you will ever make in your life. This is one of the moments in time when you are told that there are no wrong choices. I chose to major in Theatre; I chose to study something that I'm passionate about, and when I graduated I wanted to have a career doing something I love.

With that being said, no one bothers to mention how much you will be scrutinized on any major you choose. I have gotten my fair share of: So what are you going to do with that? So you're gonna be an actress? You're not in it for the money, huh? and last, but not least, here's my personal favorite: There's a lot of begging for money in that area isn't there?

My personal opinion on what someone decides to major and pursue a career in is really none of my business. No one has any right to tell another person what is wrong with the decision that they have made. If you want to be an Elementary Education major, great, I couldn't be more proud! If you want to major in Visual Arts, I'm sure your paintings will look lovely. We choose our majors based on what we want to do with our lives, not based on what someone thinks we should do.

So while your comments about our major really aren't going to affect what we major in, we still don't want to be told our degree is meaningless. I mean, think about it. We are going to school for four years (maybe more) in hopes of creating a better life for ourselves. We work day and night in hopes that one day we will be able to walk across a stage, in front of hundreds of people we don't know and receive a piece of paper that says we're qualified to make money.

So for someone to come by and tell me that my major isn't going to make any money would be enough to put me or, quite frankly, anyone in a panic. It hurts when someone casts doubt in your future. Not to mention it's rude, leave people alone when they tell you what they want to do with their life. It's their decision and one should just be proud we are trying to better our future.

Our generation is always hounded on making decisions for ourselves, but how can we be expected to act on that when we are put down for the decisions we make now. If we are expected to be adults then let us choose, and if we fail, let us learn.

I am a Theatre major, I plan to be a productions manager someday. Even if I were getting a degree to be an actress for the rest of my life, It's my decision, it is the choice I will stand by no matter what is said to me. The major I or anyone chooses is real, so don't patronize them for it.