A Thanksgiving Recap: The Week After

A Thanksgiving Recap: The Week After

Learn to be thankful every day of the year instead of just one day.

3
A Thanksgiving Recap: The Week After
Bitmoji

You've stuffed yourself with food, from turkey to apple and pumpkin pie. You may have participated in the annual 5k run in your town, or maybe you opted to watch the Annual Thanksgiving Parade on television. You probably took a nap either before or while family was over, because you knew you needed a rest before the biggest meal of the year, and then you had to make sure you were able to go out at 8 and stay out until 12 p.m. the next day to ensure you got your Christmas shopping done. Or, if you were smart, you did your Black Friday shopping online. Or you were like me and went to sleep -- I must say, that was a solid choice.

Regardless of how your day was, you enjoyed Thanksgiving, most likely one of your favorite holidays because you can eat as much as you want without being judged, you get to shop till you drop, and, most importantly, you get to be home with family and friends. You probably expressed on social media what you are thankful for and fell into the trap of changing your Facebook profile picture to a picture of you with your friends, family, or significant other with the title underneath saying "Thankful for us," in color while your image has been pigmented to only show blacks and whites.

Did you actually remember what Thanksgiving was about, though?

Are you still aware of all you should be thankful for in your life?

This is why I dislike Thanksgiving -- call me unAmerican, trust me, I've heard it more than once.

I am not very fond of Thanksgiving for multiple reasons. One of the big ones is that I’m not big on the food. I don’t really like turkey and I hate potatoes and most vegetables, so for me, its more like a fast than a feast. I also think that the holiday is a little ridiculous just in the fact that we have to make a day to be thankful for things that we should be thanking God for every single day. I know that not all people have the same mind set that I do, but every single day I walk through my college campus I realize how lucky I am and send a quiet mental thank you to God and to my parents for making this possible for me. This is just one of the things that I realize I’m lucky for every day.

I know that every single person has something to be thankful for in this world-something or someone that they can’t go a single day without thinking about, an activity they’re a part of, or their faith. So why exactly do we need a day to reflect and realize all of these things? Shouldn’t we be thankful for everything we have every single day of our life instead of complaining and exclaiming that we want more? Honestly, everyone in this world is so extremely lucky that they survived yet another day. It seems on Thanksgiving that people are somewhat “forced” to express their thanks. Is this really what being thankful is? No.

I challenge you to be thankful every day of your life. At least find one good thing out of the day. I understand that the Thanksgiving holiday is significant, but if we were actually appreciative more than one day of the year, we wouldn’t need this holiday, or the day after, Black Friday, where you literally go beating and arguing with people to get material items you think you “need” a few hours after you proclaimed how much you appreciate everything in your life.

I genuinely hope you enjoyed your turkey, being with your family, and the little traditions you have that make your holiday special. But I hope even more that you learn to be thankful every single day of your life, rather than just one day out of the year.