Dance Has Made Me The Luckiest Girl In The World

I've had the most incredible creative and physical outlet for as long as I can remember and I'm so grateful for that.

107
dancer
Madison Linnihan

If there's one thing I know about myself to be 100% undeniably true, it's that I am the person I am today because of dance. After spending nearly my entire life in dance studios, I know it's shaped me into who I am and I couldn't be more thankful. I've had the most incredible creative and physical outlet for as long as I can remember and I'm so grateful for that.

Dance has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. It's hard to imagine what life would be like without it. The hours I've spent in classes and rehearsals have given me so much more than technique and turnout. While I could tell you about the obvious benefits of my art, like lifelong friendships, discipline, and physical fitness, dance has given me even more than that. It's been a constant anchor throughout my life and that's not something everyone gets to have.

Because of dance, I can express myself when words don't do the trick. It's the place I can go when I just can't deal with the thoughts in my head and I just want to focus on art. It's the reason I'm able to cope with my emotions when life feels too heavy. As someone who is just naturally high-strung with an anxiety disorder, dance has allowed me to let go in ways that simply going to the gym, spending time with friends, and writing hasn't... and that's saying a lot because writing has been another major creative outlet for me.

While one article could never do this topic justice, I am so incredibly thankful for dance. I'm thankful for all the amazing teachers I've had over the years who have pushed me beyond the limits I constructed for myself in my head. It's hard to imagine a world where I didn't get to dance in college and meet all the extraordinary people that are a part of that program.

See also: Dance Is Not A Sport

While National Dance Day may have been on July 28th, every day is dance day for me and I'm incredibly lucky.