15 Reasons Your Siblings Are Your Biggest Blessings, No Doubt About It

Most of the time they are a pain, but they're not all that bad.

260
Hannah Westphal

I grew up with one sibling for the majority of my life. It wasn't until four years ago that I got four more; step-siblings that is. Going from having one to now five siblings was a major transition, but it's been an interesting experience.

My sister and I were close growing up and as soon as we inherited this new family, we had to learn to quickly adapt. It was by some universal force though, that within a month or two, it felt like they had been family all along. Through time, they made me love having even more organized chaos in my life.

They can be a pain, but they're not all that bad.

1. You have the best inside jokes

You share pretty much all your memories with them, and that includes all the funny ones too. Your parents and friends will never understand, but it's just one of those things if you know, you know.

2. They're someone to share secrets with

If they're cool enough that is. Chances are your parents probably won't find out that you snuck out last night, or that you took the car without permission this morning if you tell trusted kin though.

3. There's always someone else to blame

Of course, they ratted. But hey, they can drive too. A quick twist of the truth and some careful placement of evidence can turn you into an eyewitness instead of a suspect.

4. You have an extra wardrobe... sometimes.

Maybe they will find out, but hopefully, they won't. That one shirt would look so good with the rest of your outfit, and plus you'd probably rock it better.

5. They make for a good ally at family gatherings

One of your uncles is too drunk to function, your grandma keeps trying to pinch your cheeks and your little cousins are driving everyone insane. You guys give each other "the look" from across the table and know its time to peace it from the madness.

6. They make for the best guinea pigs

This is usually done best with the younger ones. They make the best test subjects for all your wild ideas. When you're too scared to ask your parents for something, it's usually the best idea to send them on to the frontlines too.

7. You learn from each other's mistakes

If you have older siblings you know this fact well. After years of watching them mess up, you learn how to get away with things the right way. You can pretty much finesse whatever you want.

8. You understand the other one's humor

You grew up together your whole life so decoding their awkward, weird, and even disturbing humor is a breeze.

9. They make the best travel buddies

You get to travel the world together and experience new things. You make some new jokes, friends, and memories in the process too.

10. You always have a friend

There's always someone to talk to when you're lonely or just plain bored. They might not always appreciate your company, but you definitely appreciate theirs from time to time.

11. They are your partners in crime

You both know you're guilty of what your parents are accusing of, but at least you can gang up on them to try and convince them that they're wrong.

12. You fight but you get over it instantly

The hair pulling, the screaming, the door slamming, it never ends. But it's usually just a day-long saga until you're over it and on to the next thing.

13. They give you support

When your parents make it seem like they have little to no faith in you, you can be sure that your siblings sure do. They have felt the same thing you're feeling too, but they'll always be there to tell you it's going to be okay.

14. You accept each other for who you are

They know every weird, quirky and annoying thing about you; and vice versa. You might be forced to deal with each other, but you gotta give each other props because you handle it so well. And hopefully, throughout it all...

15. They love you unconditionally

They can be annoying, overdramatic, and irritating. Sometimes though, they are exactly what we need when we're down. No one knows us, puts up with us, or knows how to make us laugh better than them. At the end of the day, they're the closest thing to comfort we know, and for that, we should be thankful for them.