Why I'm Thankful I Was A Band Nerd

Why I'm Thankful I Was A Band Nerd

For those who may not think highly of the band nerds

37
Why I'm Thankful I Was A Band Nerd
bfhs.tigerweb.org

When I was younger, I didn’t have much athletic skill. I tried softball for a while, basketball, swimming, gymnastics, etc., but none of them seemed to be good for me. However, one thing I was good at was music. I started out playing piano at a very young age, then trumpet, then trombone, and now I’m here. Many of my friends and I were all in the same group, and here are some reasons why I was grateful to be a band nerd.

1. I built perseverance

Many people who haven’t played instruments before, marched on fields, performed symphonies, went to band camp, marched in parades, whatever it be, do not know the perseverance it takes to keep going with these things. No matter what anyone may tell you, band is not easy, it takes many years to perfect an instrument. Without perseverance, it is almost impossible to become an outstanding musician. Music is a hard talent to possess, but one has to persevere through the hard times to make the talent great.

2. It taught me teamwork

Band is not usually looked at as a team, but it is the absolute definition of one. You can’t be an individual when making music with others. Every member of a band has to work together, without this, performances falter. Having a team allows you to learn to work with people that you may not always mix with. Band taught me to have a professional look on life where you always have to “play nice” with those you don’t mesh with. If everyone is fighting and not working together, things will not work out right, but by putting differences aside and working as a team, you will make a great performance.

3. It allowed me to travel

Yes, band nerds get to travel. We got to experience many parades, football games, and performances all over the United States. It took me to Disneyworld, Washington D.C., and Chicago. Without band, I most likely still would not have travelled to these places.

4. It gave me lifelong friends

When you’re in a band, you spend a lot of time in it. Since you spend a lot of time with these people, you tend to find the group you fit in while in the group. You go through all of the goods and bads of life together. This creates a very strong bond. You share almost every moment of life with these people, and in the end, you realize that you wouldn’t want it any other way.

5. It taught me to be an adult

Yes, band requires you to be on time, to be ready on time, to be there while you’re allergies are acting up, when your head hurts, and etc. When just one person is missing from a band, everyone notices. In a band everyone has a voice, and everyone is participating together at the same time, when just one person is missing, you are missing this person's needed voice, which tends to be a problem. It also teaches you time management. Since band I don’t think I have ever been on time to a job in my life, I am always early since my director always said “to be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, and to be late is to be forgotten.”

6. It taught me everyone is important

Yes, it sucks playing 3rd part in the band. I know it does. You just want to play your little heart out on that 1st part solo, but you’re 3rd. You may be upset about this; it may affect your performance. Either way, don’t let it get to you; you are not any less of a person than that one playing the solo. You are just as important, because yes, the solo might be beautiful, but that harmony is too, so blurt it out! (or at least play it as loud as it is supposed to be played.

7. It taught me to have passion

Music was the only thing I did in high school. Being in band taught me to have passion in everything I do. It taught me to live life soulfully; just as if I am playing an instrument in the band. The passion from band taught me to know when to be soft and kind, know when to be loud and have yourself heard, know when to stop and reflect, and know when to listen to others.

These are a few reasons of why I am thankful that I was a band nerd. Yes, you may get made fun of constantly by your peers or looked down on for being that band nerd. However, don’t let these words affect you. Band is awesome and a great experience. Yes, it is a lot of hard work and sometimes you get irritated at your peers, but in the end it is all worth it.