7 Reasons Why You Should Thank Your Young Life Leader

136

Young Life leaders are a special breed of people. They are adults and college students that volunteer their time to hang out with middle and high school age students. They endure phone calls from parents, talking to principals, and questions from friends. Young Life to each person looks different. To some it looks like friendship, a party, or even a simple invitation. So whether you are a club kid, campaigner, a college kid, or just someone your leader has shown interest in, go to your leader and give them a big hug! I am eternally grateful for my leader and the love she has shown me in high school, and I am thankful that I can call her my best friend.

1. They put themselves second.

Your leader wants nothing more than to wake up early to have breakfast, stay up late to talk, or pick you up from school. They want to share life with you. They are a great example of what a humble servant looks like. They want to drive 300 miles (both ways) to drop you off at work crew. They want to love you like Jesus does, and say yes to any crazy adventure you propose.

2. They love you unconditionally.

They are not paid, and they do not get college credit for hanging out with you. So why do they do it? They love you. They love you on Monday at club, Tuesday at your soccer game, Wednesday at campaigners, Thursday at the high school after classes, Friday at the football game, Saturday when you go to a party, and Sunday at church. They love you when you stop going to Young Life, and they love you when you come back. No matter what, your Young Life leader loves you. Remember that.

3. They want to buy you coffee.

Coffee dates are Young Life leaders' love language. Starbucks is their holy ground, or grounds if you like coffee puns. They want to pay for your food, drinks, whatever! Even though they are broke college kids, they will search their futon for change just to buy you coffee. **Disclaimer: In these coffee dates you will talk about boys (or girls), school, friends, life, and probably laugh until you cry.

4. They pray for you...like a lot.

You have been prayed for since they heard your name, or saw your face. Your friends told them about you and it began. When you went to your first club, they prayed. When you went to your first campaigners, they prayed. When you text them about your life, they pray. When you succeed and when you fail, they pray. Even when you stop going to Young Life, or when you graduate, they still pray for you.

5. They know your name before you even know them...and they remember it.

This is another huge way our leaders love us. They make us feel special by remembering us. Before we even met them for the first time they knew us, and loved us. Even if you're not best friends with your leaders, they know your name. Whether you are at Target, at a football game, or out to dinner with your family, they will say hi. Sometimes you will say hi back, and sometimes you won't. But you should, because they are great and they love you.

6. They tell you the best news...

They share not only life with you, but also the way to obtain eternal life. They introduce you to Jesus and show you what living life with Him looks like. They want nothing more than to answer your questions and talk about Jesus with you. When they tell you something that is tough to hear, or tough to understand, they are there and will help you get through it. There is nothing more important than what your Young Life leader is going to share with you about Christ.

7. They are always a phone call away.

Although Young Life leaders are known for their two days later replies to text messages, they will always reply. And they will reply with the perfect response. If you call them at 1 a.m., odds are they will answer, because they are college students who procrastinate. They would take hours to talk on the phone as long as you need. They will talk you through a breakup, a decision you have to make, a mistake you made, or even a college acceptance. As the wise Kim Possible (and your leaders) would say,"Call me, beep me, if you wanna reach me."

So today, take the time to thank your Young Life leader, and possibly even give them a hug. They have sacrificed so much for you, and love you so much. Say thank you to the person who has changed your life for the better.