To The Person Who Left Free Compliments On The Wall

Your kindness is a breath of fresh air.
14

Thank you, Anonymous Good Samaritan, for taping one of those fringed free compliment sheets to the wall. In the early hours of the morning, I followed your directions and carefully tore a sample of your kind words from the bottom of the page. You don’t know me and I don’t know you, but you turned my day around with your selfless kindness. No amount of coffee in the world could have saved my miserable mood this morning. It was not until I saw your words on the wall that the day’s iciness began to melt.

Those take-a-compliment sheets seem to be growing increasingly popular. There’s bound to be one posted within a short radius as I sit here writing this, but I’m not bothering to check. That’s just it. I’ve never bothered with free compliments before. I lumped them into a category of pesky cheeriness and cliche words. All it took was one small moment to introduce me to the value of something I had always been so quick to judge.

As I said before, we don’t know each other, but I feel like I’ve been graciously granted a precious insight into who you are. You seem to understand that little things mean a lot. You seem aware that even the most minute actions can transform a bad day into something beautiful. You seem to be kind.

Kind. Perhaps the best thing a human can be.

Thank you not only for giving kind words to various passersby, but also for serving as an inspiration to spread atoms of kindness through the very oxygen that we breathe. Let's make kindness our latest airborne epidemic. Thank you for being a carrier of this wonderful phenomenon. I think the least I can do to repay you for your altruism would be to emulate your kindness and share it with others.

Thank you for teaching me a lesson of incomprehensible significance. You taught me the power of a simple action, one that is modest and doesn’t boast its existence. You warned me not to overlook the things I’ve deemed trite and inconsequential. You opened my eyes on a dark day and helped me see the sun through clouds constructed of my own imagination.

It’s now my goal to implement kindness into my day to day actions. I know I don’t need to have some grandiose display of sweetness. In fact, it’s probably better to keep it simple. It seems it’s the simple things that truly affect someone in a profound way. That was certainly the case this morning.

Thank you, Anonymous Good Samaritan, for your humble kindness. Thank you for being proactive in your dedication to brightening people’s days. I have no idea who you are, but I admire your sensitive spirit. Thank you.