Thank You to My (Step) Dad

Thank You to My (Step) Dad

To the guy who's always been there.

57
Thank You to My (Step) Dad
Jayden Taylor Cartelli

Growing up was very different for me. I lived in a small town in the south where divorce was not yet seen as 'normal', and having moved from the hustle and bustle of California, life felt as upside down as ever. My mom was a single parent for as long as I can remember, and my friends and heir parents were always quick to ask what my family situation was whenever I was around, as though it were normal to pester a child over their family situation. However, my life has only changed for the better with gaining a stepdad. He has taken the initiative to step into being my dad, being at every production I've ever been apart of, helping me with homework, trying to explain percentages to me (which I still can't seem to grasp), and has been there for me when I've gotten my heart broken.

Though it is hard being a part of a mixed family at time, my family is a unit. Without having my stepdad as the glue to my family unit, we would be nowhere. We would not have had the experiences, travels, and laughs we have shared. My family would no longer be my family. Because of this mixed family, I've had the opportunity to grow and learn from so many different people, have many different experiences, and live a full, incredible life. Embrace the differences in your family, except them, and use them for strength in uniqueness and happiness rather than feeling as though your family is not good enough.

To those who criticize the stepparents of the world - I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Stepparents endure hardships of being accepted by their own kids, establishing their own families, and planting roots. Cut some slack for those who have to do this for the love of their families. I am beyond grateful for my stepdad's efforts in making our family whole, and I will be forever grateful.

Overall, I would like to give a big thank you to my stepdad. He has put up with me through puberty (ouch, so sorry), through my stresses and failures, and even my successes. He is the first to praise me on my achievements, whether they be in school, in life, or in work. He is the guy who picks me up when I'm sad, and he is the only person in the world who laughs at all of my jokes. He is the guy who I look up to, the guy who taught me everything I need to know about hockey. He is my stepdad, my dad, my family.

Thank you, Dad. Thank you for experiencing my life with me, being my biggest supporter, and for always making me laugh. Though we aren't blood related, you are my father figure and the man I look up to. Thank you.