Thank You To My Lifelong Best Friend

Thank You To My Lifelong Best Friend

"You're my ride or die."

16
Thank You To My Lifelong Best Friend
Jessica Fuqua

In my lifetime, I have had several friends come and go. People come for reasons and seasons. Fortunately, I have been blessed with one long-time friend. My very best friend has been in my life since I was in 5th grade. We're practically family, honestly. I've been there for key moments in her life: graduation, marriage and now pregnancy. She's been there for important moments in mine (admittedly less grown-up moments).

I don't think I could every truly put how thankful I am for her into words, but I will try.

1. Thank you for being my friend through the awkward years.

The years when I had braces and didn't know how to style my hair, the years that I tried (and failed) to rock the preppy outfits and then finally gave up and decided to wear my own preference, the years that I didn't know how to flirt and wore technical devices as accessories (jumpdrive necklace). Thank you for being present during all of those cringe-worthy choices and only slightly judging me.

2. Thank you for not being too cool for me.

I will admit it, yes you are a dork, but not nearly as dorky as I considered myself growing up. I always thought you were the coolest person I knew-- and everybody else did too. Thank you for never thinking that way. You have always been so humble and caring. You never let the idea of "being popular" get to your head like most of the girls I knew in my adolescent school days. You were different.

3. Thank you for being up for spontaneous adventures.

It used to drive my mom crazy that I would up and go for slumber parties or just a late night rendezvous (she's a planner, bless her soul). Now you and I are leaving on road trips after deciding the night or two before. Our road trips are probably one of my most favorite parts of life. Also, thank you for being the dedicated driver even though you might not always want to. You never act like it bothers you and I appreciate that.

4. Thank you for having my back.

Unfortunately, I haven't always had the best luck with boyfriends (except for now, shout out to my bae) -- or even with friends, really. Through all the bad times, you have had my back. You have always stood up for me and watched out for me. To this day, I know you would never let me down. You're my ride or die.

5. Thank you for counting me in.

You and your family have included me. I've been to countless birthday parties, family events and get-togethers. I feel like I have such an extended family. Whenever your sister was in labor, I told everybody my sister was in labor. You never leave me feeling like I'm not included.

6. Thank you for teaching me about life.

I am probably the most naive person of our friend group-- really of any friend group. You know all there is to know about relationships, bills, insurance and so on. I know about the latest song, the funniest meme or the best new show on Netflix.

7. Thank you for being you.

Thank you for being the kind and caring person you are. Thank you for being funny and adventurous. Thank you for being protective and enlightening. Thank you for being easy-going and just an all-around wonderful person.

You have never once done anything to hurt me. You've always been as nice as can be. You're my truest friend. I love you, Makenzie. I look forward to all our future endeavors together.