A Thank You Letter To My Young Life Girls

It is such an honor to be your Young Life leader.

86
Font Meme

ading Young Life has been the biggest adventure I have ever embarked upon. I had no idea what I was getting into two years ago when I started leading. But now, I couldn't imagine life without Young Life and the friends and ministry that goes along with it. When you become a Young Life leader, you are given the task to enter into a high school, meet the girls that go there and share the Gospel with them. It's much easier said than done.

I cannot express how intimidating it is to go back to high school as a college student, much less trying to become friends with the girls there (that was hard enough when I was actually in high school). I've been a leader for three semesters now and I have made the most amazing friends and had the privilege to lead some incredible girls who, sometimes, I think, have taught me more about Jesus than I've taught them. So, here's to you, girls! Thanks for being you.

Thank you for making me feel cool.

I really can't say thank you enough for constantly laughing at my nerdy and cheesy jokes or my embarrassing dance moves. That laughter means so much and there is nothing I want more than to bring a little joy to your lives. Coming into this journey, I was so scared that every high school girl I met would think I was weirdest person ever. And I think you do think that, but you also think I'm cool for some reason, so thank you for making me feel accepted.

Thank you for being patient with me.

Girls, I can't even tell you how many times I came into a Campaigners lesson not knowing what I was doing. Or how many times I said "it's hard to say" when we went to camp. Truth is, a lot of the time it's scary to be a leader. And a lot of the time I feel unsure about how to lead you. But, I do know that God loves you so much and so do I, so there is nothing more important than being someone you can ask the hard questions to and someone who shows you the person of Christ. Most of the time I figure it out along the way and I thank you for being patient with me through that.

Thank you for trusting me.

I know it can be scary to trust someone older with questions and secrets and everything in between. But, you have chosen to trust me and I am so grateful for that. It is truly an honor that you let me into the hard parts of your life and the easy, fun parts. I don't always have the answers, but I will always listen. Thank you for believing me when I tell you camp is going to be the best week of your life and that we can fundraise the money to go. It's a leap of faith to go to camp and I'm thankful that you trust me enough to come with me there.

Thank you for rooting for me.

There's a ton of value in feeling known and loved. That's a huge part of what I try to do for you girls as your leader. But it is so special when I feel known and loved by you, too. When you listen to my talks and cheer for me in games, you show me the love of Jesus and what it feels like to be fully loved. Your encouragement inspires me to want to be the best leader and the best friend I possibly can. So, thank you for believing in me and for cheering me on.

Thank you for showing me Jesus.

Being your leader reminds me that I do have short-comings and I cannot do life without help from Jesus. When you ask me tough questions it challenges me to turn to the Bible for answers that I need, too. And when you give me grace when I mess up, you remind me that without the grace of Jesus, I would be nowhere. Through your friendship I am reminded of how much you and I are loved by the Father. I hope you girls read this and know that you are valued, loved, and treasured. Thanks for being you!

Love,

Rosie