A Thank You Letter To Jesus

A Thank You Letter To Jesus

While I could never sum up my life with you in so many words, I owe everything to you.

14
A Thank You Letter To Jesus

Jesus,

I don't even know exactly how to start this letter to you because so many things run through my head. First, there's the obvious fact that you died in order to save all of mankind, defeating death in the process. According to my knowledge, no one else has ever done that in history so yeah, you rock.

I've known of you from an early age; I was blessed to have two parents who love you and taught my sister and me the importance and magnitude of who you are. From an early age, I felt a call on my life that I now know only you could've placed. I grew up hearing that I was created with a purpose. That purpose, at its very core, was to love and serve you and your kingdom.

Somewhere around late middle school/early high school, our relationship shifted, though. The connection between us was no longer because my parents had instilled that respect in me or because church was just someplace my family went on any given Sunday.

No.

It was no longer about the trivial belief that you were who you were because my parents said so. I became deeply devoted to you because I finally understood a mere glimpse of your overwhelming love for me. There had been so many signs along the way that you were near, but it took the maturity and attention shift for me to notice your still, small voice.

But after that, I was captivated.

I read the Bible in a new light. God's Word isn't solely something I see as instruction or official doctrine, it is a well flowing deep with love. Every story, memory, and name in the Bible became tangible to me and I now see that the basis of everything is your love for people.

You truly are someone I aspire to be like, as so many people do. I constantly long for your compassion, your heart, your kindness, and your grace. So many songs have been written about who you are as a person, but nothing could ever truly sum up just how breathtaking you and your life are.

While on Earth you served people every moment of the day, whether those around you knew it at the time or not.

You sat with tax collectors, prostitutes, and beggars and you called them friends. When the rest of the community would shun them as wretched, you took the time to recognize them as people and you dined among them as companions. You showed them grace when everyone else only had strife in their hearts.

You touched the sick, lame, and brokenhearted. When everyone else overlooked them as outcasts or sneered in disgust, you invited them to come close and experience the very presence of Heaven on Earth. You showed them healing when others stepped right over them and never thought twice.

You called people higher than they ever would've thought to venture. Most know about the twelve disciples and how you picked each and every one of them from ordinary, mundane lives in order to show them a glimpse of the life that comes next.

What some don't always remember are the masses of people who followed you just as the disciples did. Yes, some followed because of your popularity but others followed you because of your miracles and still others because they knew only God could create and appoint you to fulfill the prophecies of their ancestors.

Even though you're not physically here anymore, the Earth still feels your presence. Every time the wind shifts the waves, every time the leaves grow back after a long winter, and every time the sun rises and sets again. You're there. Through it all, you remain.

There could never be enough words to sum up everything you are, but you know what we feel with a single look...a single breath. And you reply, with a simple smile and a nod, that you get it. You understand it all.

Thank you.