How Trisomy 18 Changed My Life

How Trisomy 18 Changed My Life

An extra chromosome just means extra love.

630
How Trisomy 18 Changed My Life
Haley Mackey

I have been so blessed to have a family that spends as much time together and loves each other as much as mine does. This story has helped shape my life in so many ways and has taught me more than I could ever ask for.

On November 28, 2005, each member of my family was changed forever. My cousin, Dawson, was born. I will never forget the car ride home from school that day when my mom told me that Dawson was born and that he was sick. He had holes in his heart and had difficulty breathing. My seven-year-old mind could not grasp the thought of a precious baby being so sick. She used big words like “genetic disorder” and “trisomy 18” and “chromosome” and “terminal illness.”

Dawson was born with Trisomy 18, a genetic disorder that is characterized by an extra 18th chromosome. Basically, we learned that if he survived, he would never walk, or talk, or eat by himself, or communicate in any way. The doctors said he would probably not live any longer than 30 days and even if he made it past those 30 days, seeing his first birthday would be a miracle.

We serve a God of miracles. In the Bible, Jesus performs countless miracles and I watched, and continue watching, God perform a miracle in the life of Dawson. I believe that God used miracles to reveal to humanity His glory. Dawson’s life has done that. The love of Jesus radiates off him. The first 30 days of his life were some of the scariest that my family has experienced, but Dawson got through them. Then he made it to his first birthday. Then his second, then his third, then each birthday after that. On November 28, 2017 Dawson will turn 12 years old.

Throughout Dawson’s life, our family has learned more than any school, church, or book could teach us. We have learned how to truly walk by faith and not by sight. At the age of seven, I began praying for Dawson every day and praying that God would extend his life. I believe that learning to talk to God and trust his plan for my life began at that age and that, to me, is priceless.

Dawson also helped me make one of the biggest decisions of my life. I struggled with choosing a college major and figuring out what to do with my life. Because Dawson has so many medical needs, I have helped take care of him since he was a baby.

From an early age, I learned how to suction, feed through a G-tube, change out a trachea tube, and so much more. I’ve watched my aunt change out his feeding tubes, put in a catheter, and many other things. I have visited him in the hospital so many times and watched doctors go in and out helping figure out what was wrong with him.

After helping with Dawson, having surgery myself, taking care of my mom after several surgeries she had, and research, I realized that I want to be a doctor.

I want to help people in their worst times.

I want to give people the chance to spend more time with their loved ones.

I want to know how the body works and why it works that way.

I want to show the love of Jesus through healthcare.

I want to put parents of sick kids, like Dawson, at ease.

Thank you, Dawson. Thank you for teaching me how to have faith. Thank you for helping me realize what God’s plan is for me. Thank you for being so dang cute. Thank you for your unconditional love. Thank you for your radiant smile. Thank you for your sweet spirit.

And thank you, Jesus, for Dawson.