The Thank You's You Owe Your Roommate, But Will Never Say Because They're Implied

Even when you can cut the tension in our room with a knife, I still love you.

1453
Jamie Goerke

"Hey! You seem super sweet and I'd love to get to know you more!"

That was the first message I ever sent to my now college roommate. Finding a roommate was perhaps the most stressful thing of senior year. Well, getting into and committing to college and then finding a roommate. Lucky for me, I found my roommate pretty early on and we were able to get super close before school started in August.

I can't imagine going through freshman year without being friends with my roommate. I know plenty of people who go to school and find their friend group and it doesn't include their roommate. But Lauren, thanks for being my friend from the start and never leaving me.

Thank you for listening to music with me.

We both have completely different tastes in music but somehow we always have music playing in our room. Although we usually end up listening to your music, I have learned to love Black Bear and Justin Bieber (who doesn't love waking up to "Baby"?). Of course, Taylor Swift and our wonderful playlist of her will always win though.

Thank you for doing stupid things with me.

We are the only people who will stay up all night for no reason and do laundry at 3am. No matter where we are, we always end up hysterically laughing over something that we failed at. Remember when we tried to take the elevator together and couldn't even manage to get in the same one?

Thank you for not getting mad at me for stupid things.

I really am sorry that I lost your debit card that time. We found it though, so yay! And if we're being honest, I could be getting mad at you for a lot of things that I never get mad about.

Thank you for never letting me be alone.

Yes, we live together and are forced to hang out in 301. However, you never fail to show up when I text you that I'm lonely and in the marketplace. We haven't done class together yet but maybe soon?

Thank you for having an interesting life.

I love hearing all your stories about things you've done in your life and why your life is a mess even though you're currently thriving. I hope you love listening to my stories as much as I like yours.

Most importantly, thanks for being my best friend at school.

Going to college would have been a lot scarier had I not known you. Thanks for always being there and making all our friends for us. You've introduced me to so many people and so many new ideas. Thanks for being the girl I can rely on at school.

Even if tensions rise a lot, and we really do need to take a break during school breaks, I couldn't have asked for a better roommate freshman year. See ya super soon sweetie.