Thank You To The Little Sisters

Thank You To The Little Sisters

You can't live with them, you can't live without them.

12
Thank You To The Little Sisters
Tess Terrell

Around 12 years ago, on a cool spring morning, my older sister had the bright idea that she was going to teach me how to ride a bike. Our mother had woken us that Sunday morning for church and practically glued us to the couch in order to keep our dresses clean and bows intact, but of course my dare devil of a big sis had other, much more fun, plans for the two us.

I had just received my first “big girl” bike as a birthday gift just days before and I just could not wait to feel ride alongside my favorite person, my older sister, which worked out quite well because she could not wait to teach me. Rarely did we get along for longer than ten minutes, so one could only imagine why my 7-year-old self would agree to deliberately disobey dear old mom and go out for a quick spin. After all, what could possibly go wrong?

In seconds my sister had me peddling all on my own! I was so beyond excited that I just couldn’t control myself. My long dress and ruffled socks were not ideal riding wear, but in that moment I could have cared less. In that moment, my big sister was clapping just from the driveway and chanting my name, quietly of course, we would hate for our mother to hear the ruckus. Just as I was finally getting the hang of things I lost my balance and so did my perfect shiny blue bike!

My perfectly perfect ride fell to the concrete in a loud clatter and I found myself in heap beneath the darn thing. There I laid in a tangle of gingham dress and a sly pile of rocks that had gotten in my way. My sister ever so quickly lifted me to my feet and after examining my scraps and cuts skillfully dusted me off and sent me on my way. Of course this was all after she tickled me until my tears vanished and begged me not to tell our mom, which of course I did as soon as possible. In the end, I was banned from her room and given the silent treatment, but I learned some valuable lessons that day about sisters. Number one, you can't live with them, you can't live without them. Number two, I had been doing this big sis thing all wrong for so many years or so I had been in my 7-year-old mind.

In that very moment I learned how to be big sister or so I thought. Until then I had simply danced around the idea. Until then my big sister duties had included always hosting the finest tea parties and always remembering to invite my little sisters make believe boyfriend and holding her hand at bedtime. I thought that I would be teaching my little sister everything I knew, just like mine had taught me. I would teach her how to climb out the window to the front porch, the best hiding spot was the hall closet, and that dad was a super light sleeper. Clearly, as we grew older we all grew closer and our age rifts caused a little less tension and a lot less tattling. Little did I know that my little sisters would be teaching me so much more and I would be owing them a huge thank you!

Sweet little sisters, thank you, thank you, thank you for….

1. Thank you for being completely honest at all times. Obviously, I’m much older and know lots more, but you do always tell me when my favorite pair of jeans are getting too tight, when my new sunglasses are too big for my face, when my hair needs washed, when I’m being a drama queen, and when the guy I’m dating is totally lame. Just know that you’ll be the one consoling me later. You never fail to keep things real and that’s what I love about yah kid. Remember, lies get you nowhere.

2. Thank you for putting me in my place. You never let me forget that the world does not revolve around me, no matter how hard I believe. You’re always reminding me that I’m really not as cool as I think and not everybody loves me. Sometimes I just need someone to knock me down a few pegs and I’m glad that person is you. Just ignore when I chase you through the house screaming after you share your thoughts because I promise they are appreciated.

3. Thank you for keeping my secrets. I could tell anyone my dirt, but I always choose you. Partly because you don’t know my friends at school, but mostly because I know that I can trust you with anything and everything. I’ve dropped some pretty heavy stuff on you, but you never run. You just sit, listen, nod, and eat whatever food we’ve decided was necessary for the occasion. Seriously though, don’t tell anyone about that boy, for real.

4. Thank you for never ever judging me. You have seen me at my worst in the darkest of places with the world crumbling at my feet, yet you still love me. You’ve seen me wear the same shirt four days in a row, not wash my hair for a week, and sleep until three in the afternoon, but you never say a word, which is probably because I’ve usually talked you into whatever I’m doing. In more serious times you try to pick me up, but when there are no words you simply lay down with me for just a little while longer.

5. Thank you for making me, me. Being someone’s sister is who I am. You are such a great part of me and I would be lost without you. All of our Saturday night shenanigans, tear stained cheeks, fits of giggles, and bed sharing has shaped and molded me into the person I am today. I would be nowhere without you by my side every single step and I wouldn’t have life any other way.

6. Thank you for leading me to God. I watch you pray for your friends and sing in church. I see you discuss religion and faith with such enthusiasm that I can’t help, but to be led by your light. You are such an amazing person and you inspire me every single day. There is no one quite as Godly and beautiful, both inside and out, as you my dear.

Here’s to the little sisters of the world. You rock!