25 Things To Do Instead Of Texting Your Ex

With love in the air, the urge to text your ex becomes almost unbearable

164
Miguel Constantin Montes

As the holidays are upon us, engagements seem to swamp my Facebook timeline making it almost unbearable to browse through the app. For us single people, this is just another reminder that we don't have a significant other to spend the holidays with. While love is in the air, the urge to text your ex almost becomes almost unbearable. While this might sound appealing, it definitely is not a good idea. Just think about it -- you broke up for a reason and whatever that reason may be, texting them out of the blue won't change it. The best thing to do when the ex-craving is hitting you especially hard during the holiday season is to distract yourself. There are so many other productive things you could do instead of craving time that has already been lost.

1. Bake something

Baking requires your full attention and there isn't any room for your phone on the counter. It is also very therapeutic and can do wonders for your mental health.

2. Write s letter

All those things your want to text your ex? Write them down. You will feel better once you get all of those emotions out. And if you want to rip it up once your done, more power to you. But whatever you do, do not send it.

3. Read a book

Reading a book can transport you to new places and adventures. Everyone has a few on their to-read list, so curl up on the couch and read a few chapters (or an entire book). The only thing off limits are love stories — anything written by Nicholas Sparks, Nora Roberts, Jude Deveraux, Julie Garwood...ect, (You get the point).

4. Find a new show to binge watch

This generation thrives off of television with streaming services like Netflix, Hulu and HBO GO at the tip of their fingers. Wanting to see what the hype is about for Westworld? HBO GO has got your covered. The best distraction is binge watching a new series within a few days.

5. Go to the gym

I find it a struggle to make it to the gym, but when I do go — I feel 10,000X better than before. An intense workout does wonders to your body and mind. 10 minutes at the gym > 10 minutes thinking about your ex.

6. Treat yourself

"Treat Yo'Self" originally coined on Parks and Recreation has become a motto for so many. The best thing about wanting to treat yourself? You can do it from the comfort of your home. No need to get ready and have to fight the crowds to get to your favorite store.

7. Go to the movies

If you text at all during a movie, you are basically the most hated person in the room. Instead, invite one of your best friends and laugh until tears are running down your cheeks. Avoid seeing romantic comedies (again, Nicholas Sparks is a no-go).

8. Call your mom

You need to call your mom —this is what she is here for after all. She is one of the people you can always rely on to cheer you up and calm you down.

9. Try something new

If you're stuck in the same old routine, it might be time to try something new. Learn to cook, volunteer, learn a new skill, try a DIY project...just to name a few.

10. Go to a restaurant they hated

That certain restaurant you never went to anymore because he hated seafood? Well, now you can go there whenever you want.

11. Volunteer

Helping others is the perfect distraction to take your mind off your ex. Not to mention, you have the chance to make a change in this world by helping others.

12. Meditate

Meditation recharges your body and mind creating a brighter, positive state of mind. Not to mention it can give you relief from stress and anxiety and give you a clarity of mind.

13. Binge watch your favorite movie series/TV show

All 10 seasons of Friends is on Netflix just waiting for you to continuously watch and finish within 3 days.

14. Grab lunch with a friend

Friends and Food? What better distraction could you need?

15. Make an extensive To-Do list

If you're anything like me, I have 34790837 to do-lists everywhere. Making an extra long to-do list will not only help you get started on the many projects you have, but distract you for several hours.

16. Learn a new language

With the internet at your fingertips, purchasing a book or audio series to learn a new language became 10x easier.

17. Plan a trip/vacation

Planning a trip takes coordinating with others, finding a place to go, shopping for outfits and so much more.

18. Buy a coloring book [and use it]

Extra points if its Harry Potter.

19. Pick up a new hobby

Always wanted to try a new hobby, but felt you didn't have time? Well, time you used to spend with your SO can now be used to find your passion.

20. Google new makeup techniques

Makeup trends change almost constantly. Finding a new makeup trend on Google or a video on YouTube could be just what you need to boost your confidence.

21. Spring clean

I have so many clothes packed up in boxes that I will never wear again, but can't seem to get rid of .

22. Paint your nails

While painting your nails, you can't pick up your phone to text anyone especially your ex.

23. Do karaoke

Who doesn't love Karaoke. Some of the best karaoke songs include Picture, Baby Got Back, Wannabe and Party for Two just to name a few.

24. Make a new playlist

Making a girl power playlist is the perfect distraction to get your ex off your mind. Don't forget to add Confident, Fight Song, Love Myself, Roar, and Fighter just to name a few.

25. Delete his number

Need I say more?

So many things could go wrong when texting your ex, so stop — distract yourself and be productive instead. You CAN withstand the pressure pushing you to text your ex because to be honest...you know you shouldn't.