Texting While Driving: Why Can't It Wait?

Are those texts more important than your life?

503
The Leader

Today, it seems like people can’t live without their cell phones. Phones have become almost like a “lifeline” in some peoples’ everyday lives. Everywhere you go, you see cell phones! Whether it be hanging out with friends, out at a restaurant, or even while in school, you will see others with their phones out. But in some situations, cell phones shouldn’t be used, yet we still see them. One of those places is in the car while driving. Texting while driving has become a big issue all around the country. The question is, why can’t people wait until they are done driving?

Statistics

First, let’s start off with some texting and driving facts. Per icebike.org, there are 2.5 million people in the U.S. that are involved in road accidents each year, and of that 2.5 million, 1.6 million of those accidents involve cell phones. That means over half of road accidents each year happen because of using a cell phone while driving!

Why is texting while driving so dangerous? Well, on average, it takes about 3 seconds of your eyes being off the road for an accident to happen. According to textinganddrivingsafety.com, the minimal amount of time it takes to read a text message is 5 seconds. If you are traveling 55 mph, in the time it takes you to read your text, you have already traveled the length of an entire football field! Imagine driving 100 yards with your eyes closed! This is a huge problem because 77% of young adults are somewhat confident that they can safely text while driving, while 55% claim it is easy to do. Obviously, texting while driving isn’t easy, or else all these accidents wouldn’t be happening.

The Addiction

The fix to texting and driving seems simple. Why doesn’t everyone just put their phones away while driving? If only it were that easy. The problem is, cell phones have become an addiction. Most teenagers and adults feel as if they can’t live without their phones. Many people can’t go minutes without checking their phones. They panic if they can’t find it or misplace it. They keep it right next to their heads while sleeping. They get upset when the battery on their phone is low, but don’t worry, they always are carrying around an extra charger. Everyone connects more with their phones than they do with the people around them. The worst problem with cell phone addiction is that it even affects drivers. Sadly, some think that it is not a big deal, even though all these accidents involving cell phones are happening around them. Cell phone addiction is becoming a major problem all around the world.

The solution

Quitting any addiction is difficult, and cell phone addiction is no different. Sometimes it may be hard, but little things can help you cut the habit.

First, try setting your phone in the passenger seat, or in the center counsel. Just try not to have it in your hand or lap.

Second, if you have someone else in the car with you and you need to reply to a text, ask them to read it and respond for you. That makes it safer for everyone in the car.

Lastly, think of all those that you could potentially hurt because of your actions. It is not only you that you are putting in danger. You are also endangering anyone else in your car and anyone else on the road. Is it worth it to endanger someone else’s life? That is what you must think about.