Tesla's Vision for the Future

Tesla's Vision for the Future

How Elon Musk is Shaping the Future of American Consumerism

433
Tesla's Vision for the Future
Tesla Motors

In June, Tesla Motors, the brainchild of CEO Elon Musk, announced its intentions to purchase SolarCity, a company that installs solar power systems. This past month, Musk unveiled two new products would be released in conjunction with the recent acquisition: Solar Roof and Powerwall 2.

The Solar Roof is perhaps the most exciting announcement that Tesla has had in the recent past and displays the company’s efforts to branch out into the energy industry. As an advocate for environmental change, Musk’s goal for Tesla is to create sustainable products that don’t require a significant sacrifice on quality or convenience. People, especially Americans, tend to be reluctant to lifestyle changes even if it’s for the benefit of the environment. One of the things that Musk realized about solar panels is that they are unsightly. People don’t want to deface the beauty of their craftsman-style home with large industrial-looking solar panels. Recognizing this, Tesla created Solar Roof – a solar tile system that replaces the function of solar panels without sacrificing beauty. At the product’s unveiling Musk stated, “The goal is to have solar roofs that look better than a normal roof, generate electricity, last longer, have better insulation, and have an installed cost that is less than a normal roof plus the cost of electricity.” In order to fit every homes aesthetic, the solar tiles come in four different styles including Tuscan, Slate, Textured, and Smooth. Each of the four styles are made with extremely strong tempered glass that is significantly more durable than standard roofing material and is able to withstand the impact of hail up to 200 mph. SolarCity plans to start installation of Solar Roofs in 2017, with plans for leasing and loaning, giving consumers the option of paying their normal utility cost until the roof and installation are paid for.

In order to create a more integrated experience, Tesla also unveiled the Powerwall 2. The Powerwall 2 is a battery pack that harnesses the solar energy captured by the Solar Roof. The problem with solar panels is that they only provide renewable energy during the daytime when the sun is present. Come nighttime, the solar panels are rendered useless and energy has to come from the grid. The Powerwall 2 solves this issue by storing excess solar energy that is captured during the daytime so that it can be used at night. The Powerwall 2 is the second generation of home batteries created by Tesla and at 5kw storage, it offers double the power and capacity than previous models. Tesla boasts that the Powerwall 2 is “safer, cleaner, quieter, and more affordable than gas-powered generators.”

Every year, Tesla’s products seem to take consumers one step closer to more sustainable living solutions. The issue now with Tesla is affordability. Although the Solar Roof eventually pays for itself, it’s a significant investment that many people aren’t willing to make. The all-electric cars that Tesla is known for are also costly and range in price anywhere between $50,000 to $150,000. Although many people have considered the price of their products as a significant downfall of the company, I believe that the price of Tesla is what makes it influential. Other car companies have tried to create their own electric cars, including the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Spark, however, everyday consumers aren’t running out to purchase them. Tesla has not only created an environmentally-friendly image of their brand, but they have also created an image of luxury and prosperity. Tesla has become synonymous with the wealthy, which makes it all the more desirable. Ultimately, Tesla has made environmentalism something to be desired rather than scoffed at.