10 Things I Learned When I Moved Away To School

Finally being able to live on your own and being independent.

10

College. It sounds like the best time of your life. You're able to live on your own and not have anyone nagging you to complete your responsibilities. You can go to bed whenever you want but you know you're going to feel the consequences the next day. It seems like it's everything you ever wanted...until you finally realize the things you miss about home.

1. You No Longer Have Your Own Space

Forget about privacy, that's a thing of the past. You live with people now and can't just escape to a private place when you need it. At home you can shut yourself up in your room and watch Netflix for six hours without anyone bothering you but at school, that's not happening. Sure, you can still watch Netflix for six hours but you can't enjoy the serenity of watching it with ice cream and no pants, depending on who you live with, it might make things a little awkward.

2. Mom Isn't Here to Clean Up After You

I don't know about you but I loathe cleaning, I'm just a naturally lazy person. I learned really fast that my mother isn't here to clean up after me. At home, I'd get yelled at to clean but ultimately I knew in the end my mom would clean it just so she wouldn't have to look at it anymore but at school, if you leave a plate out, no matter how much you wish it away, its still going to haunt you when you look into a sink. You are in charge of your own mess and for us lazy people, it is a force.

3. Figuring Out the Best Time So You Can Poop In Peace

Freshman and sophomore year I lived in a dorm so I had to deal with the dreaded community bathroom. I don't know about you but I like peace when I go the bathroom. I don't want people in and out and ruining my peace and quiet, judging me because of a natural bodily function. No thanks. For months you have to scour the floor and mathematically deduce the best time to go to the bathroom where no one can disturb you. Once you find that time, it's like coming across the Holy Grail.

4. You Have to Make Your Own Appointments

When you're awkward like myself, talking on the phone can be the worst situation in the world, especially when you have to make appointments. Mom is no longer here to schedule your dentist and doctor appointments, and she's no longer going to go with you. It's a stepping stone into adulthood that you just don't want to take. I'm almost 21 and I still cry when I have to get a shot. Why isn't it socially acceptable to have your mom sit with you when you're over 18 if you're terrified of shots? Hopefully, that will change in upcoming years because this fear won't go away soon. You have to answer questions about yourself that your mom would usually answer so you look like a fool that you don't know the medical history of your family even though they already have it deep in their archives. It's a daunting experience.

5. You Lose Money Fast

Without your parents here to budget you, you lose money like it's nobody's business. What's 20$ here for some dominos? Oh, Victoria's Secret is having a sale?! Well, might as well just buy a few things... and then suddenly your credit card is declined and you're wondering "how the hell did this happen?!" All of a sudden you have no money and you want to buy some honey barbecue wings but you can't even afford a piece of gum from the dollar tree.

6. Bedtime is Whenever You Say It Is Bedtime

No parents, no curfew. You can choose your bedtime whenever you want to, you can pull an all-nighter if you wanted and just hit the Dunks on the way to class in the morning to get your caramel swirl extra with a turbo shot so you can make it through your fifteen-hour lecture. No more parents to tell you "You have school in the morning, get to bed early". If you want to binge watch "The Office" until five fifteen am be my guest!

7. Homecooked Meals are a Rarity

Unless you go home every weekend, it is very rare you get a home cooked meal. After having subpar food for months on end, it is almost tear worthy when you finally go home and have a delicious steak and mash potatoes. Once you get the pleasure of living in an apartment you can taste the beautiful homecooked meals you crave, but until then you're stuck with fruit that's been sitting out since 7am and lukewarm pasta.

8. Compromise Compromise COMPROMISE

Like I mentioned before, you live with other people now, it can't always be about you. You have to come up with compromises so everyone can live in harmony, otherwise, your living situation is going to suck. It could lead to fights and then ultimately awkward tension within the room. It is really important to communicate with your roommate(s) about things you want and what they want so everyone ends up happy and there is no tension.

9. No one is Going to Tell You To Do Your Homework

Now that you're in college you get a significant more amount of homework but it also means no parents to nag you to do it. This is DANGEROUS. It is such a dangerous thing because it is easy to forget or you get lazy (like myself) and procrastinate until the class before it. No more Mom or Dad checking it over to make sure it is right, if it is wrong, it is wrong

10. You're Going to Miss Home Like Crazy

As much as you wanted to move into school, you're going to realize quickly you miss home. You're going to miss being around your family and miss your pet(s). You're going to miss your own bed and being able to shower without flip flops on, and be able to poop as long as you want in the privacy of your own bathroom. You're going to miss being with your family.