10 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend Lycoming College

If, and only if, large impersonal schools are your thing.

273
Alexandra Meyers

'Tis the season for college applications, rejections and acceptances. Anyone who has ever gone through the college application process will tell you how frustrating and nerve-racking it can be. Before you even begin to apply, you have to decide on what colleges you are interested in. Do you want to go to a state school or a private school? Large or small? In a metropolitan area or a town that has a slower pace? There are so many options, narrowing down your list to two or three or even ten can seem like a daunting task.

Colleges will throw all sorts of stuff at you to attempt to grab your attention. They might send you free swag, boast of their dozens of clubs, hype up the town it's located in and, perhaps, even offer you a scholarship. Suddenly, you find that you've been hit with information overload and you have no clue where to begin. If you are considering picturesque Lycoming College in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, there are few things to think about before you send your enrollment deposit.

1. The class sizes are small.

The average class size at Lycoming is between 15 and 30 people. We like it because our professors and classmates know us and it's easier to get help if you get lost or are confused.

2. Your professors will remember your name...

Since the class sizes are small, professors quickly learn names. You might have taken that history course as a gen ed your freshman year, but the professor will continue to greet you by name until you graduate.

3. ...and most of them will care when you are not in class.

We all get sick sometimes, and the professors understand that. If you communicate your problems, most professors at Lycoming are willing to accommodate you.

4. The students here are friendly.

It's extremely rare for students at Lycoming to not hold the door for others or to say "excuse me," "please" and "thank you." We also enjoy saying hello to people we know as we pass them by in the halls or on the sidewalk.

5. The cafeteria ladies will want to strike up a conversation.

They like to make jokes, ask about your day and Jess has the best food related puns.

6. Cindy and Glenda at Cafe 1812 will remember your name...and your order.

It might take a few weeks, but if you go to Cafe 1812 semi-regularly, the lovely women who take your order will remember your name. They might also be surprised and question your life choices when you decide to get something other than your regular multi-grain toast with peanut butter and banana for breakfast.

7. Local businesses downtown will offer you a discount when you present your college ID.

They also love to tell students what is going on in the community in the hopes that you might want to get involved. They also love to donate items and gift vouchers for any fundraiser that your club might put on throughout the year.

8. You will go to a professor's or a faculty's house at least once. Maybe even the president's house if you're lucky.

My freshman year I went to my archaeology professor's house for pizza and a movie and this year I went to the president's house for a senior reception. It's not uncommon for students, especially student leaders, to get invited to their professors, advisors, or the Dean of Student's house.

9. No matter where you go on campus, you'll always see a familiar face.

Lycoming is a smaller school so you are bound to see someone you know no matter where you go. Perk: it's extremely easy to make friends. Disadvantage: everyone knows your business before you even know your business.

10. We might be small but we are impassioned.

I have yet to meet anyone who is not involved in at least one club, organization or activity on campus. We get excited for #LYCOHOCO , Greek Week and other activities and our Student Senate is a driving force for a good portion of the change that happens on our campus.

We might make jokes and occasionally complain about Lyco, but at the end of the day we are all Warriors and are filled with immense pride for our school. Lyco isn't for everyone, but for the 1,500 current students and the thousands of alumni, it is home.