10 Gifts That Will Help Save the World This Christmas

Give and receive gifts that matter this year!

325
Vimeo

It is that time again. Pine scented candles are replacing your pumpkin spiced ones, twinkle lights are popping up everywhere, and Michael Buble is serenading you in every store you enter. It is the most magical time of year, but it can also be the most expensive and stressful.

Deciding on what gifts to ask for or buy for Christmas can be difficult. When asked what we would like, we often take a sweeping look around the house to find what is missing and either come up short or feel too guilty to ask for it.

These issues come from the fact that most of us already have everything we need. So, we are left with a list of wants that only benefit ourselves. So, this year I would like to make a list of gifts that do more. Gifts that help save the world.

You may see where I'm going here and think, "Yes I know I should donate or ask for donations to some charity. But, nobody likes to do that." You are right. For whatever reason most people do not like to simply donate in your name.

They like to hand you a tangible item that says "I love you this much" and I love you even more because I wrapped it. It is silly but true. Wrapping is part of the Christmas experience. Although we all pretend to hate it when the time finally comes to wrestle thin paper neatly over our rarely square shaped gifts, we refuse to be denied the satisfaction of handing someone a physical present wrapped to perfection.

So rather than just list off a number of charities you can donate to, which I would still highly encourage, here are 10 gifts that you can give or ask for this Christmas, that can be wrapped, but also work to save the world.

1. ANYTHING ON AMAZON

So simple right? The Amazon SmileFoundation is run by Amazon and offers all the same products and prices as Amazon.com. But, with each regular purchase, AmazonSmile will donate 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to the charitable organization of your choice. I am putting this first because again it is so easy to do and (because Amazon is slowly taking over the world) you will most likely buy at least one thing from Amazon this holiday season. So, you might as well donate while you are at it! Add a note to whatever you buy using AmazonSmile and let your recipient know which charity their gift supported!

2. SEVENLY MERCHANDISE

Sevenly helps raise funding and awareness for seven different causes. 7% of all profits go to The Sevenly Foundation which is then distributed to whichever partner is attached to the item purchased. The cool thing about this site is not only that their clothes are super fashionable, but you can shop by cause. My personal favorite is the Environment collection, which has an Earthy style and donates to Environmental causes. They also sell mugs and other fun nicknacks along with their other clothing items.

3. BOX LUNCH MERCHANDISE

For every $10 you spend, BoxLunch will help provide a meal to a person in need through Feeding America. They offer a wide variety of products, their most fun being their pop culture merchandise ranging from Harry Potter Sweatpants to Gilmore Girls T-Shirts. If you or anyone on your list is a movie or television enthusiast, this is the place to go.

4. BEST FRIENDS ANIMAL SOCIETY MERCHANDISE

Best Friends is one of my favorite charity organizations. They run the nation’s largest no-kill sanctuary for companion animals and build programs that reduce the number of animals entering shelters. You can purchase t-shirts, pet supplies and home goods to help support their cause. Products range from $4 - $59.

5. OUT OF PRINT CLOTHING COMPANY MERCHANDISE

With each purchase, Out of Print Clothing helps to fund literacy programs and book donations to communities in need. It also supports the authors, publishers and artists who made these iconic works. This is another place where you can find lots of fun topical items that feature your favorite literary authors, stories, and characters.

6. IVORY ELLA MERCHANDISE

Save the Elephants by shopping at Ivory Ella! Ivory Ella is a company that works to stop poachers and help save elephant lives by donating 10% of their net profits to Save the Elephants, a Kenyan organization that tracks, monitors, and secures elephant populations. Their outerwear products (like the sweater depicted above) are to die for, but they also have drink-ware, hats and apparel that range in price from $6 to $40.

7. LUSH CHARITY POTS

The Charity Pot is a body lotion by LUSH that gives 100% of the purchase price toward animal rights, environmental rights, or human rights organizations they have partnered with! Each pot has a sticker on the lid that tells you which of their charity partners your charity pot is benefitting. These range in price from $7.95 − $27.95.

8. FEED MERCHANDISE

Every FEED product sold helps provide food to children in need. Below the price of each item, FEED tells you exactly how many meals you are providing if you were to purchase the item, so you know exactly what kind of change your purchase would make. They carry a number of products but their trendy bags are by far their most popular ranging from $25 to $300.

9. TEN TREE CLOTHING

With every clothing item purchased from Ten Tree, ten trees are planted. But Ten Tree is much more than that. All of their fabrics are environmentally progressive, and they also work to promote fair labor practices and safe working conditions throughout their supply chain. Another cool thing about this brand is that after purchasing one of Ten Tree's products you will receive a code that allows you to track your trees and see where they are planted! Prices range from $28 − $170.

10. THE PARKS PROJECT MERCHANDISE

The Parks Project works with a number of partners, all of which are connected to saving and supporting our national parks. Together they work to fund the projects in our parks that need immediate attention. Purchasing their merchandise supports habitat restoration, visitor programs, wildlife conservation, and youth programs within our national parks. They offer a number of clothing, accessories, and home goods items that could match anyone on your list.

These are my top ten gifts to help save the world this Christmas. But, there are plenty more companies and products out there that work to give people what they want while helping to make the world a better place. So, make sure to look around and take advantage of the opportunity to help the world in as many ways as you can this holiday season! And remember to share this article with your friends and family when they ask what you would like for Christmas this year!