10 Costumes You're Going To See And One You Probably Won't

Popular and unpoplular Halloween costumes for 2016.

40
Shannonbay

It's Halloween 2016 and since it is a Monday, the party has already gotten started this past Halloweekend. Other than candy and sweet treats, the holiday is pretty much all about the costumes, and many people are serious about that aspect. When choosing a costume this year, I went full on "basic" and chose to dress up as Harley Quinn. Yeah, yeah everyone says it's "cliché" and "all girls everywhere are going to be doing it," but honestly, so what? I didn't care if I was going to be ph 14 this Halloween because Harley Quinn is crazy cool, from all of the comic series to the recent movie, "Suicide Squad." I was 100% game to rock the sparkles and the goodnight bat, no matter what anyone else said.

If you're curious to see where your costume falls on the popularity scale this year, check out my list of the top 10 most popular costumes, and one of the least, of 2016, derived from my own observation and research.

1. Harley Quinn and the Joker

Oh yeah, the Harley Quinn epidemic has definitely swept, and will continue sweeping costume parties everywhere this Halloween. Because of how recently "Suicide Squad" came out, couples and best friends alike will be dressing up as Harley Quinn and the Joker, and some as Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy as well. Even famous rapper G-Eazy took part in repping the Joker!

2. Snapchat Filters

Whether it's the puppy dogs, the deer, the unicorn mouth, or many others, it won't be hard to find your snapchat filter favorites out and about. They're also one of the best last-minute costumes to pull off!

3. The Purge

Purge. Masks. Everywhere. And ripped shirts with splattered blood. Everywhere. Kind of terrifying, actually.

4. Election-Themed Costumes

With the election only eight days away (gasp, I know) there will be many Hillary Clintons, Donald Trumps, supporters of both sides, and the ever so loyal "Bernie Bros."

5. Pokémon

Although the Pokémon Go fad has died down a bit, you're still going to see a lot of Ash Ketchums and Pikachu onesies. Gotta catch 'em all, am I right?

6. Police Officers and Convicts

This is kind of an every year occurrence. There are many black and white stripped shirts, orange jumpsuits, and plastic handcuffs, but now we've also added some "Orange Is The New Black" themed groups.

7. Devil and Angel (and sometimes Jesus)

Wear red with devil horns or white with angel wings. Bam! Instant Halloween!

8. Witches, Cats, and Bats

When it's as easy as wearing black, putting on a cape, and putting on some ears or a hat, it's no wonder why so many choose to do it! I mean hey, haven't most of us?

9. Hugh Hefner and Bunnies

*Sigh,* yeah, this is kind of every year too. I'm really not a Hugh Hefner fan, but dude does get to wear some sick velvet. You can also find bunny costumes in pretty much any costume store. Or just wear lingerie and bunny ears because Regina George did.

10. Superheroes and Supervillains

I don't think there's ever been a year where superhero and supervillain costumes weren't popular. There are so many great groups and characters to choose from; the Justice League, the Avengers, X-Men, or even Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. There are lots more heroes and villains too. You'll probably see your favorite out saving or scheming tonight!

And as for the least popular costume...

1. Ghosts

Shocking, right? Well, although so many people talk about getting a white sheet and cutting eye holes in it, people rarely actually do that. It is however, pretty much the most classic Halloween costume. Let's bring it back, shall we?

No matter if your costume was on the list or not, I'm sure you're going to look fantastic and have loads of fun this Halloween (if you haven't already!)

Oh, and most importantly, stay kind and stay safe!