How To Not Argue With Your Family During The Holidays

6 Strategies To Avoid Arguing With Your Family During The Holidays

As much as you might try to avoid and resolve conflict, political and other arguments might persist.

236

The holidays present the perfect opportunity to spend quality time with loved ones. As people travel home and reunite with relatives, however, conflict can arise, too.

Whether your family argues over your personal life or politics, you know that unbridled conflict can quickly ruin the mood of the entire celebration.

Maybe it's the close quarters or jet lag. Family gatherings tend to bring political tensions to the surface, so it's understandable that 40 percent of people try to avoid discussing politics during the holidays. In a particularly contentious time, avoiding fallout from political arguments might be a necessity for some families.

Luckily, an enjoyable evening can still survive political comments. Here are six ways you can avoid political arguments and keep things light this holiday season.

1. Have a meaningful discussion if you can

If your family can manage to have a meaningful discussion about politics, that's fantastic. Expressing your beliefs politely and listening to others can provide insight into your family, as well as the people you usually consider your political opposition. If you're lucky, you might even convince someone you disagree with to at least understand your point of view.

If someone brings up a political issue and you feel the need to comment, try to do so as calmly and politely as possible. Instead of making accusations or bringing up statistics, try to explain why you feel the way you do from a personal and emotional standpoint.

If you're worried about the debate becoming heated, you may want to limit the political conversation to one-on-ones away from the dinner table. This way, you allow individual family members to engage at their own discretion.

2. Use humor to break the tension

If polite conversation seems unlikely, consider using humor to defuse the situation. Laughter can break the ice in all sorts of awkward scenarios.

If you fancy yourself an amateur comedian, try responding to the start of a political argument with a joke. You could come up with something relevant on the spot or deliver a cheesy knock-knock joke you prepared ahead of time.

Even if your joke only gets a few sympathy laughs, you'll break the tension and make people feel more comfortable.

3. Find common ground

Even if you and your family members have political differences, you likely still have a few things in common. For example, you might have grown up in the same town or share similar memories. To soothe political arguments, try to find common ground.

Simply saying, "I understand why you feel the way you do" can work wonders when resolving a conflict. Even if the only thing you agree on is that the pumpkin pie tastes delicious, you can still get back to a more friendly atmosphere.

4. Take back the conversation

Everyone has at least one relative who can't read the room. If someone has taken the conversation hostage with their political rants or ramblings, you need to know how to take the conversation back — if not for your sake, then for the deeply uncomfortable teens trapped at the table.

When dealing with difficult relatives, do your best to change the conversation as smoothly as possible. Usually, asking a question is the best way to change topics. Take the opportunity to bring someone new into the conversation and strike up a more friendly discussion.

For example, you could ask your cousin about their new job, ask your aunt what recipe she used for the sweet potatoes or ask your little nephew to tell you all about the presents he got.

5. Act polite when others don't

Some people might try to bait you into an argument. Don't take the bait. Instead, try to always act polite, even when others don't. If insults start to fly, try not to let it get to you.

Take a deep breath and try another strategy to change the conversation. Place extra emphasis on maintaining etiquette. If your grandmother passes you a napkin, thank her. Ask if you can get anyone something to drink. Others will appreciate your civility.

6. Take a break if necessary

As much as you might try to avoid and resolve conflict, political arguments might persist. If a fight starts to take a toll on your mental health, it's okay to remove yourself from the situation.

Escape with grace by offering to clear the table, inviting the kids to play in the snow or simply excusing yourself to get some air.

Holiday arguments can cause stress in families, but you don't have to let political disagreements derail the festivities. By trying these tips to avoid conflict and taking care of yourself, you can enjoy spending time with your family this holiday season.

Enjoy the holidays without the conflict.