Girls, If You Like Him, Tell Him While You Still Can

Don't let him become another "what-if"

118

In high school, you had a crush on one of the dreamiest boys you'd ever seen. And even though you had so many chances to tell him how you felt, you let him get away. You let him slip right through your fingers and he fell into the arms of some other girl, and while you're trying your best to be happy for them, you can't help but wonder if you could've been in her place.

Now you're in college, and you're eyeing that cutie in the first row of your biology lecture hall. Or you've been working up the nerve to finally initiate a conversation with that regular at the bar down the street. Or your best friend is all but shoving you over the counter and into the barista who makes your face even hotter than your morning coffee.

As hard as it may seem, you need to clench your fists, stand your ground, and do it. Tell him that you like him. Ask him out to a movie that Friday night. Just confess your feelings and save your doubts for another day.

Maybe you've kept quiet because you're afraid that he'll reject you. But so what if he does? It feels sucky at the time and maybe for a day or two after, but then you'll be right back on your feet and ready to try again when the next guy comes along. Rejection isn't a pleasant feeling, but if you don't take a chance at being turned down, you're also cheating yourself out of a chance for him to say yes.

For all you know, he could've been harboring the biggest crush on you since the start of the semester, but he was the one who was too shy to seek you out first. He would really appreciate you being so forward (confidence is sexy, after all!). Even if he didn't want to go out with you, he'll know that you're not afraid to go after what you want, and if he's a decent guy at all, he'll respect you for that.

If he doesn't have feelings for you, it simply just wasn't meant to be. And while it hurts in the moment to know that you will never be his girlfriend, step back and praise yourself for diving in head-first. Not everyone has the guts to make themselves vulnerable and confess to romantic feelings, but you did, and for that, you should think very highly of yourself.

So if you're absolutely crazy about him, you'd be crazy not to pursue him. It's the equivalent of ripping off a bandage; take a few seconds to breathe, then go for it with everything you've got.

No matter what happens, you're a strong, beautiful, and capable woman and you should never let a silly little crush convince you to believe otherwise.