Top 13 Television's Must See Shows

Top 13 Television's Must See Shows

A list of the best shows to start watching right now.

14
Top 13 Television's Must See Shows
people.howstuffworks.com

This is a list of some shows that are strongly recommended due to their storylines and characters. These shows come highly recommended and will be sure to keep you wanting to watch more.

13. Gilmore Girls

This show is about a young mother (Lorelai) and her daughter (Rory) going through life together. This show holds its charm with sarcastic comments from all the characters. It shows Lorelai and Rory's growth throughout the years of the shows run. Between the years 2000 and 2007 the show provided laughs and tears of all their viewers. I strongly recommend watching this series once in your life and you should do it soon! The show is having a short reboot airing on Netflix later on this month!

12. Glee

A teen fan favorite which had a lot of singing involved. Come on, you can’t not love this show! I am not afraid to say it, I loved Glee and occasionally still watch episodes or listen to their versions of songs. This show deals with many teenaged problems as well as music. We are shown teen pregnancy, eating disorders, self image disorders, and homophobia. This show holds powerful statements for anyone and everyone. It also brings light to the arts, which are dwelling in today’s school systems. It’s not hard to see why this one is on this list.

11. American Horror Story

American Horror Story is a series that is unlike any other. It is filled with gore, and is disturbing for some viewers. With each season having a completely new plot you never get bored of watching it. With its incredibly talented actors who work on each one of the seasons, it’s amazing to see the different ways they can transform themselves into drastically different characters. It is a truly interesting series that is highly recommended.

10. Degrassi

Degrassi made its original debut in 1989, and was re-booted in 2001. This show was one of the most iconic in television history. With two spin offs from the original series you can not hesitate to applaud the shows success. This show is not afraid to push the limits and boundaries. Dealing with things like rape, suicide, murder, school shootings, self harm, coming out, teenage pregnancy, abuse, and the list could go on. With such an iconic cast of previous generations and new generations it is hard to say that this show is not a fan favorite. It reaches out to everyone at one point in their life or not.

9. How I Met Your Mother

How I Met Your Mother is a trademark show, following the footsteps of Friends it is a relatable show filled with laughter and real life issues. The group of friends work together so well and make the show spectacular to watch. Throughout the series, which ran from 2005-2014, we follow Ted Mosby, a father of two who tells his children about how he came to meet their mother. We follow his journey with his friends: Barney, Robin, Marshall, and Lily on this journey and the end result will shock you.

8. Sex and the City

Sex and the City, who doesn't know about it. The show ran from 1998-2004 and has even come to create a spin off called The Carrie Diaries. Throughout Sex and the City we follow Carrie Bradshaw and her three best gal friends Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte through their fabulous lifestyles. Talking about shoes, should nots, and sex this show covered what it was like to be a 20-30 something girl living in NYC. You have different characters that you could relate to. Samantha, the sexually free independent woman who needed no man. Miranda, the lawyer who occasionally wanted to get her freak on but work was always her priority. Charlotte, who wanted to settle down and find the one without having all the messy stuff in between. And Carrie, who wrote the advice column titled “Sex and the City” who had the worst luck when it came to men. Can we talk about a big problem? (That would be a very funny line if you have watched the show or seen either of the movies).

7. The Vampire Diaries

The Vampire Diaries first came to the small screen in 2009 and is now entering its final season. It is believed that its success was thanks to the movie Twilight coming out and a vampire craze coming about. The Vampire Diaries has suspense, love, death, and confusion all mixed into one and makes viewers want to know what happens next. Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev) finds out about the strange world filled with vampires and werewolves and her life takes a change for the exciting when she starts dating a vampire (Stefan Salvatore AKA Paul Wesley). Later comes his brother Damon, but I will leave you to figure out what happens between all of them for yourselves.

6. AWKWARD.

Awkward. started out on MTV around the same time as Teen Wolf. Throughout the series, which has recently ended, we follow Jenna Hamilton, a 15 year old blog writer throughout her high school days, and let’s just say it’s well...awkward. Within the first episode alone she is faced with serious problems and from then on, everything just builds. Her love interest Matty McKibben, friend tamara and others face real situations that teenagers see during their high school years. Seeing as this show first came out when I was a freshman in high school I found it completely relatable and recommend it to anybody in high school or recently graduated. Its jokes and real life situations make it a seriously fierce show.

5. Friends

A true classic that everyone knows and loves. Friends makes the list because even if you have seen it before, there is no way you can’t go back and watch every episode over and over like it is the first time you’ve seen it. The show's incredible story lines always pulls you in. The on-again off-again love story of Rachel and Ross, Monica and Chandler’s hidden love turned epic romance, Phoebe's quirkiness, and Joey well...Joey-ness, kept you wanting more and I am ready to start watching the series for let’s guess the eighth time.

4. Grey's Anatomy

Just finishing its 13th mid-season finale, Grey’s Anatomy pulls you in with its intense love story between Meredith Grey and Derek Sheppard. While this is one of the main plots of the show, we also see the growth of Meredith Grey as she faces the difficulties of falling for her boss, battling with depression, and a mother who is sick. As the seasons go on the shows producer and writer shows no mercy when it comes to all of your favorite characters. I recommend watching this show, but I also recommend not getting too attached to any characters.

3. Teen Wolf

An adaptation of the 1985 movie starting its run in the summer of 2011, this show was an instant hit on the MTV circuit. Tyler Posey’s character Scott McCall was bitten by a werewolf and you spend the first season with him and best friend Stiles (Dylan Obrien) trying to find out who the original werewolf is. All this while attending high school and trying to obtain a normal life. Without giving away any spoilers I will leave you with this, each season is full of excitement, a new plot, and will always keep you on the edge of your seats. Start watching while you can, the sixth and final season of Teen Wolf has just recently started and it is expected to be a good one!

2. Gossip Girl

“Gossip Girl here, your one and only source into the scandalous lives of Manhattan's elite.” The words that started one of television's most popular teen shows. Throughout the show's long run we follow Serena Van Der Woodsen (Blake Lively), Blair Waldorf (Leighton Meester), Dan Humphrey (Penn Badgley), Nate Archibald (Chace Crawford), and Chuck Bass (Ed Westwick) on their scandalous lives during high school and college. It gives you an insight into the lives of American socialites in an interesting way. Each episode keeps you wanting more and more, always wondering who Gossip Girl is. Well, that’s all I can say about this show without giving away too much. XOXO.

1. One Tree Hill

Known as being the best teen drama to come to the small screen, One Tree Hill has easily made it to the number 1 spot on this list. Not only because this is one of my favorite shows of all time, but because this show follows its characters throughout high school and into their future. Lucas and Nathan Scott share the same father and share the same desire to forget that fact. The love triangle between Lucas, Peyton and Brooke makes you wonder if there is such a thing as soulmates. With that being said, the producers and writers reassure you about soulmates with the two true soulmates Nathan and Haley who overcome some devastating obstacles. Death, success, murder, love, music, and of course basketball make you want more at all times and leaves it nearly impossible to turn off your television.