10 Binge-Worthy Shows You Need To Watch On Netflix This Winter Break

Because what else will you be doing over break?

19
Unsplash

After weeks of stressful papers, exams, and impossible finals, its time to go home and enjoy this holiday season with your friends and family; however, for those who feel like unwinding and not socializing for the next three weeks, here are 10 binge-worthy shows to watch this winter break.

1. "Gilmore Girls" (2000-2007, with a reboot in 2016)

After being rebooted by Netflix in 2016, the ever-popular "Gilmore Girls" has been regaining popularity and should be at the top of everyone’s binge-watching list. Set in Stars Hollow, Connecticut, "Gilmore Girls"tells the story of Lorelai, a single mother, and her daughter, Rory Gilmore’s relationship as it follows their crazy lives from Rory’s junior year at high school through college. Filled with plenty of eccentric characters and juicy story lines, "Gilmore Girls" is a must-see, and can be best enjoyed with excessive amounts of coffee and plenty of takeout.

2. "Twin Peaks" (1990-1991)

A cult favorite that was just added to Netflix, "Twin Peaks"is a surreal crime drama filled with mystery, intrigue, and humor. After the murder of homecoming queen Laura Palmer, FBI Agent Dale Cooper comes to the small town of Twin Peaks, Washington to catch the killer. However, as Cooper dives deeper and deeper into the case, it becomes clear that there was more to Laura Palmer than it seems and that everyone in this small town has something to hide. Although it only lasted two seasons, "Twin Peaks" is worth the watch and should be on every crime fanatics list.

3. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2005-)

Feeling like something a little light-hearted after the stress of those finals you think you failed? Well, "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"is the show for you. This sitcom focuses around a gang of five friends— Dennis, Dee, Charlie, Mac, and Frank by season two— who own and run a bar called Paddy’s Pub in Philadelphia. This group of underachievers is constantly getting into endless amounts of shenanigans, and their struggles will make you feel a little better about that “F” you think you got on the Statistics 305 final.

4. Arrested Development (2003-2006, with a Netflix reboot in 2013)

Another sitcom with insane characters, "Arrested Development" is an excellent choice for any binge-watcher that feels like laughing, and occasionally cringing, at the activities of the Bluth family. Centering around Michael Bluth,"Arrested Development" leads you through the Bluth family’s lives after this millionaire family gets all their money taken away due to fraud. You can’t help laughing as you watch the Bluths struggles to live without money, and as pre-Juno Michael Cera attempts to navigate himself through adolescence with his crazy family pulling him in every direction.

5. Black Mirror (2011-)

Ever feel like technology will destroy our lives? Want to cure yourself of any technology addiction you may have? "Black Mirror"will ruin the wonders of technology for you, and make you wary of any innovations being made in our world. With each episode of the series telling a different storyline, "Black Mirror" will horrify and delight you with every twist and turn of the series. However, be warned: no topic or taboo is off-limits, and you should go into episode 1 knowing you will never be able to look at technology the same.

6. Conspiracies (2015-)

Is the government out to get you? Do you believe the moon landing really happen? Do you ever wonder if Lee Harvey Oswald really killed JFK? Netflix has just the show for your inner conspiracy theorist. Each episode of this one season show focuses on a different set of conspiracy theories, from Hollywood, to assassinations, to aliens, and explains each of them as well as the evidence behind them. The first episode, which talks about the Nazi party, will blow your mind and have you wondering if Hitler really died during World War II.

7. Criminal Minds (2005-)

For those of you in the mood for a witty crime drama with plenty of twists and turns, "Criminal Minds" is the most binge-worthy show for you this Hollywood season. Rather than just focusing on the crimes, "Criminal Minds" discusses the madness and thought processes behind each suspect they investigate, and create profiles behind each unsub they attempt to find. This show is compelling and thrilling, and will have you on the edge of your seat as you see the characters you grow to love put themselves in danger to save the lives of innocent bystanders.

8. Scream (2015-)

Have a thing for slasher movies, but don’t think it could ever be a good TV series? Well, "Scream" is here to prove you wrong. Created by MTV in 2015, Scream is a modern adaptation of the hit horror franchise from the 90’s. However, the series is even better than the movie, diving deeper into a new killer’s backstory, and terrifying you to your wit’s ends as residence of Lakewood are stalked and killed by a serial killer. With an amazing cast and more twists than you could think possible, "Scream" is a must-watch for any horror movie fan.

9. Jane the Virgin (2014-)

Feel like watching a telenovela but don’t want subtitles? The CW’s hit series "Jane the Virgin" is the perfect series to fill your life with insane amounts of drama and thrill. After Jane Villanueva is accidentally artificially inseminated, her average life is turned upside down as her life becomes more complicated and exciting with each episode. Featuring love triangles, drug lords, and family scandals, "Jane the Virgin"is perfect for anyone who feels like their lives are too tame, and will have you thanking the lord for your drama-free life.

10. Bob’s Burgers (2011-)

As a personal favorite, "Bob's Burgers" is my favorite series to binge-watch whenever I’m sad, mad, or just in the mood to laugh. Watching Bob Belcher struggle to manage his restaurant and control his insane kids will have you laughing hard and amused as the family gets into insane situations in their hometown. In addition, Tina Belcher is a godsend for anyone who has ever felt uncomfortable, awkward, or have an excessive love for butts. If you’re still living under a rock and haven’t seen this show, start watching and don’t stop 'till the first day you go back to school.

Happy bingeing!