Why Teenagers Are Terrified Of Being In The Dark

No, it's not because of scary movies.

32
WallpaperWideHD

Since I could comprehend what darkness is, I’ve been terrified of it. I’ve slept with a night light for over a decade. Also, at night, after I’ve turned off the lights, I use my phone’s flashlight to guide me through the treacherous path from the light switch to my bed. But no, this is not the norm and most teenagers are not afraid of darkness. Although, most teenagers are afraid of “being in the dark.” The expression “being in the dark” means to be unaware of something, or to be unknowing. As a teenager, I can assure you that the uncertainty of the future scares me more than any horror film.

As a high school student, I am constantly reminded that the college application process is difficult and will consume the entirety of my thoughts during the midst of the following years. The question of "Will I get into my dream school?" looms over me like a dark cloud; I'm unable to escape until I am either accepted or denied. No, I do not know all of the schools I am going to apply to. Yes, I do know that the schools I am looking at require high GPAs and standardized testing scores. But there is more to getting accepted than testing well. Nowadays, to be accepted into the school you want, you must stand out. You must be the best at something, or be talented at many different things. For this reason, students are forced to balance extracurricular activities, community service, academics, and maintain connections built through a social life. The question of “Is it enough?” is presented in all of these aspects of life. If I’ve practiced my sport for two hours today, is that enough to get a scholarship? If I only get to see my friends in between classes because I’m too busy during the rest of the week, is that enough to fuel our relationships? If I’ve studied for the past week for this test, is that enough to get an A? If I’ve volunteered for over 60 hours this year, is that enough to make a difference? There is no rubric, recipe, or how-to book on what a student needs to do in order to be accepted into his or her dream school. So how can we know if what we are doing is enough? If there is no set stopping point, do we just keep going? Students don’t know what they have to do to get into college and it drives them crazy. Students are terrified that if their dream school is looking for something specific, their efforts will be for nothing. Personally, the possibility of being denied is not what bothers me; the fact that I do not know my future drives me mad. Knowing that no matter how long we train, study, and work, the possibility that we will not get what we want is horrifying.

Along with choosing which colleges to apply to, teenagers need to start thinking about what they want to do for the rest of their lives. Before we are 25, we are expected to choose a major that will prepare us for the job we desire. We are faced with a life-changing decision and are unaware of the results. We don't know if we will enjoy it, and we don't have a set job in the field in which we are interested. There's no "test drive" for each path in life and there's no possible way to ensure that the job you choose is going to lead to happiness. Teenagers are terrified of making the wrong decision and being stuck in a job that doesn't allow them to fulfill their dreams. Also, what happens if the job you choose doesn't allow you to provide for the family you desire? The uncertainty of how picking a major will affect our lives is a fear that all teenagers share. What if this one decision, made as a teenager or young adult, alters our path into a road we don't want to go down?

While I am afraid of being in a house alone at night, being unaware of what my future holds is what really scares me. It is crazy to imagine what can unfold in five, 10, or even 15 years. The best all teenagers can do is work our hardest and prepare ourselves for the worst. Maybe, life will surprise us all and fill our lives with happiness in return for hard work.