A Letter From A Catholic Teen During Lent

Repentance, Reflection, and Reform

583

Dear Teens Everywhere,

Well guys its that time of year again. Lent. Every Ash Wednesday I get ready for church with a open mind ready to do it right. I always felt that I was going through the motions not really understanding or truly sacrificing. Well, this year it was different. I actually understood the importance and meaning of Ash Wednesday and the Lenten season. This lent I gave up junk food and sodas. Which will be a huge struggle but in the end I will have made a small sacrifice compared to the one God has made for us. He sacrificed his only begotten son for you and me. I felt in my heart that this year I would do Lent right. This lent I will be practicing the 3 R's: repentance, reflection, and reform. Someone once told me its not about what you do it's about how you do it. So here is my journey this Lenten season to do it right.

Repentance

Reflect on theses questions. Are you happy? Have you truly been the person God has called you to be? Have you treated others the way you should have been treated? Have you spent one on one time with God like you promised? Being a teenager is hard. We get so caught up in our day to day life that we tend to forget about the important stuff. I challenge you to take out 2-5 minutes out of your day to say a quick prayer asking for guidance. Repentance is important in preparation for the Resurrection of Christ. Have you been to confession lately? Take out time to confession your sins. Its hard sometimes to admit that you were wrong or that you hurt someone. After Confession, I always feel so much peace in my life. So make mends with the people you have hurt.

Reflection

Reflect on these questions. Today, did I keep my Lenten Sacrifice? Did I take out any time of my day just to say "Thank you God?" Have I truly participated in the Lenten season? What can I do to serve others? Do others look up to me? Am I leading by example in my life? Sometimes the person we truly are is not always portrayed in the way we want it to. We are so overwhelmed with life and the task it endures to survive. We loose sight of the important stuff. Sometimes, I need my alone time with God just talking to him listening to music and reflecting on my day.

Reform

Reflect on these questions.How can serving others change my life? Am I being the person I know I can be? Is everything I do for the Glory of God? How can I live my life better? What can I do during this Lenten season to stay on track? Surround yourself around people who can uplift you through this season of preparation. Say a simple prayer during the day. Get involved in you school, church, community or youth group. Show the world that were the future of our country.

Lenten Prayer:

Dear God,

Today is the (insert day of Lent) day of lent. Today, I offer you my heart and mind. To help guide me through this process. You are my whole heart. Everything I do is for the glory of you.Help me to see things as you do. Through Jesus Christ. Amen.

Sincerely,

Iriel