Why Teen Girls Should Read Sarah Dessen

Why Teen Girls Should Read Sarah Dessen

Dessen is changing lives one book at a time

155
Why Teen Girls Should Read Sarah Dessen
Midnight Bloom Reads
Don't think or judge. Just listen.

For those of you who must have lived under a rock during your teen years, I am pleased to introduce you to the amazing human being that is Sarah Dessen. Sarah Dessen is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of now 13 novels for teens. Her novels have always held a special spot in my heart because of the huge amount of honesty in them. No topic is too much for Dessen and that’s why I love her. Here are 6 of her best selling novels and why reading them will change your life.

6. This Lullaby (2002)

This Lullaby is about a teenage girl, Remy, who grew up only knowing the song This Lullaby when it came to her father. Her mother is constantly getting married so she believes in short-term, no-commitment relationships. Remy is afraid to take chances in life, all she needs is a little faith. That's where Dexter comes into the story. He makes her believe in love. It's relatable to all girls who grew up without a father figure or with a mother who is always jumping from one guy to another. It's a love story that proves that one good guy can change your outlook on love forever.

5. Along for the Ride (2009)

Along for the Ride is about a teenage girl, Auden, who has struggled with insomnia caused by her parent's constant fighting at night. The summer before she starts college she decides to stay with her father, his new wife, and baby. During this time, she meets Eli and makes up for her lost high school days. This novel is relatable towards the girls with split homes. Auden is a character who is a perfectionist, cautious and serious. The story depicts her learning to have an appeal for failure.

4. The Truth About Forever (2004)

The Truth About Forever is about teen Macy who watched her father die. Since her father's death, she's "perfected" her life to deal with her grief. One summer she gets a job with Wish Catering and meets Wes. During her summer with him and the quirky employees of Wish Catering, she is faced with things that are far from perfect. This book is perfect for anyone who feels pressured to be perfect. Girls who have lost a parent will be able to relate you Macy and how she grieves her father's death.

3. Just Listen(2006)

Just listen is about Annabel, a teen model who seemingly has it all. That is until her best friend's boyfriend rapes her and her best friend disowns her. Things at home aren't any better. Her sister has just moved back home and is undergoing therapy for an eating disorder. By the end of the novel we see Annabel confront her rapist, find love and move on with her life. This book is good for anyone who is feeling lost and confused. It teaches you to move on from negative and toxic situations and people.

2. Lock & Key(2008)

Lock and Key is a tear jerker. Ruby is a teen girl barely making it by after her mom leaves her. She is found by social services and sent to live with her sister Cora. While living with her sister she is pushed to apply for college and makes a friend in jock, Nate. This novel hits every emotion and shows you how Ruby moves on, and eventually becomes a better person than she was going to be.

1. Someone Like You (1998)

Someone Like You is the only novel of Sarah Dessen's that has touched my heart this much. This novel follows best friends Scarlett and Halley as they overcome all the obstacles in their way. First, Scarlett's boyfriend is killed in a car accident, then she finds out she's pregnant with his baby. Halley in turn becomes Scarlett's partner in throughout her pregnancy and child birth. These trials and tribulations really test their friendship and in turn strengthen their bond. Someone Like You will touch anyone's heart but I'm almost certain any teen mom will love this novel.