Technology's Impact On Interpersonal Communication

The 24/7 accessibility of a mobile device has caused severe sleep deprivation, increase in self-confidence and social anxiety, and increase in automobile accidents.

2984
The Net Web

Part 2

Since the invention of the mobile device, society unintentionally turned the phone into an unwanted addiction, one of the negative consequences since its invention. Motoharu Takao discuses the problems associated with mobile phone use in his article and stated, “although a mobile phone is useful and attractive as a tool for communication and interpersonal interaction, there exists the risk of its problematic use”(111). While the connectivity, accessibility, and portability are appealing to this generation, there is a common trap that many fall into, because we often will seek validation in what we believe will define us. Thus many have become addicted to it for social strength. The technology has given this generation the false security that the ability to speak with another is easier by fingertips rather than in person. Shepherd, Parker and Steiner say, “the lack of access to technology creates anxiety and insecurity among individuals who have used technology for a source of social identity, social interaction, knowledge and entertainment” (592). Anxiety and insecurity often lead to an unwillingness to be involved socially thus causing loneliness and depression. As the mobile device has evolved over the past few decades, that constant need for the device has increased as well. When it comes to media consumption, one person becomes one of the mass rather than being involved in person-to-person relationships. In a recent article, Carol Shepherd states, “the continued lack of personal contact in communication can lead to a difficulty in communicating in a face-to-face setting. Studies have shown a link between chronic social media use and social phobia” (2). According to Marissa Maldonado’s article “The Anxiety of Facebook”, “research has shown that using social networking sites, namely Facebook, can increase people’s stress levels, produce anxiety and negatively affect a person’s sense of self” (par. 3). The constant use of social media can be traced to depression among individuals and has also caused unwanted desires due to its influence.

This intrusion of the mobile device into society has caused a shift in self-security. Christine Linke in Mobile Media and the Change of Everyday Life says “even though mobile phones are (increasingly) used in the space of our homes, the crux is that you can take it with you and make calls wherever you are. It is therefore of interest how mobile phones are embedded into certain environments” (89). The mobile phone is efficient, portable and might reduce stress in the end, yet the concern remains that if one person is reliant on their phone, is it impacting their personality?

In a recent article, Motoharu Takao presented findings from an epidemiological study done “suggest[ing] that mobile phone users who use their phones excessively are more prone to complaining regarding health-related symptoms, such as headaches, fatigue, impaired concentration, sleeplessness, and hearing problems” (111). These can often be related to social anxiety and apprehension. Takao also stated, “problematic mobile use is a kind of over attachment to the object. Problematic mobile phone users are strongly reluctant to leave their own phone to avoid negative emotions such as depression, isolation, and feeling lost” (113). The study conducted revealed a negative correlation between mobile phone usage to having low self-esteem. This technology and the constant use of it has lead to unwanted psychological affects such as loss of sleep and everyday function (Takao 4). A person’s life can stem from the phone, and according to Shepherd, Parker and Stiener, if the technology is removed, a person’s identity becomes non-existent (592). Therefore, much like drug addiction, the person in dependent on their phone for sustainability. In this regard, media has become a replacement for one’s life rather than an enhancement, and has caused unwanted psychological effects.

While self-security remains a concern for this society, studies conducted have found that also one of the main psychological effects was severe sleep deprivation (Ononogbu, Wallenius, and Raija-Lenna 1). Found more commonly among adolescents, sleeping with the phone under the pillow on the bed has had negative effects to the sleep cycle. When the phone goes off during the night, it has been discovered that it interrupts sleep cycles (Adams, Daly and Williford 2). By interrupting the sleep cycle, the person is less likely to feel refreshed and awake the following morning. The main reason that many prefer to have their phone constantly ‘on’ them is so that they do not miss something important that could be going on or to answer when someone reaches out. According to Pew Research Center, “44% of cell owners have slept with their phone next to their bed because they wanted to make sure they didn’t miss any calls, text messages, or other updates during the night” (2014). The mobile device has caused disruptions in sleep cycles, therefore, has interfered with the body’s internal clock. In research conducted, Adams, Daly and Willifrod found that

College students who used cell phone technology after sleep onset reported being awake an extra 46 minutes per week. Forty-seven percent of students awoke after sleep onset to answer text messages and 40% to answer cell phone calls. Importantly, greater levels of tech use during sleep time predicted lower sleep quality, and lower sleep quality increased depressive/anxious symptomology. (100)

This research proves that the mobile device has caused health issues due to the lack of sleep. This is one of the psychological effects the mobile device has caused since its invention.

Along with the negative psychological effects, another negative consequence is the increase of car accidents and pedestrian accidents related to the use of a cellphone. According to research, “only 5% of cellphone-related crashes occur because the driver is texting. The majority of accidents involve drivers distracted while talking” (Kratas par. 3). This correlates with the statistic stated earlier from The Washington Post: 28% of car accidents have been traced to use of the mobile device while driving (Halsey). Researchers through Ohio State University regarding pedestrian accidents and the cellphone conducted a study that resulted in an alarming statistic: pedestrian injuries that were phone related have doubled since 2005 (USA Today 2013). Pedestrian injuries can be anything from walking off sidewalks into moving traffic or falling off a bridge into traffic; as many as 1,500 pedestrians were treated in emergency rooms for injuries caused by cellphone usage (Smola par. 6). The psychological effects are more internal, but the automobile accidents and pedestrian accidents are an outward physical consequence of the mobile device.

However, in the end, the positive outcomes of the mobile device outweigh the negative consequences (Smith 2012). Pew Research Center author Aaron Smith stated “when it comes to the positive impacts of cell phone ownership, fully two-thirds (65%) of cell owners say that mobile phones have made it “a lot” easier to stay in touch with the people they care about” (par. 2). Morris intended through his invention of the telegraph to bridge gaps in communication and make it easier to communicate with one another (Captivated 2011). Human beings are fallible; therefore, most car accidents and pedestrian accidents were unintentional because of a simple glance at a screen. The psychological effects are less obvious and harder to solve, as it is dependent on the person, not the device. However, in spite of the apparent psychological effects and other negative consequences like pedestrian accidents, the human race was meant to communicate with others, as there is an innate desire to be connected with others. The mobile phone made that possible. Michael Chan states, “humans have a fundamental desire to form and maintain social ties because relationships can provide not only material assistance and social support in times of need but also positive affective and cognitive benefits, such as happiness and self-esteem” (Baumeister; Leary; 4).

Interpersonal communication has evolved over the decades and grown digital. Whether or not that change is good or bad, the truth remains that technology has affected a person’s lifestyle and identity. There have been multiple positive outcomes since the invention of the mobile phone including the ability to connect with people across long distances, unfathomed before the invention of the telegram. The invention of the telegram marked the beginning of bridging gaps in communication. Access to the phone 24/7 was appealing to the market, therefore, one of the positive outcomes was the ability to access whenever. One of the more recent positive outcomes came in 1983 when Motorola released the first mobile phone. The phone could be taken anywhere, and even though the market was limited to businessmen due to the cost of the phone ($3,995) at the beginning, it has become more available to the mass. This portability the phone offers is one of the key reasons along with connectivity and accessibility that the mobile phone has flourished in society.