How Technology Is Changing the Dating Culture
Dating

Put down your phone and learn about a person for who they really are!

534
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149902454@N08/34776732853

Ever since I was 12, I have had a piece of technology glued to my hip. At that time, and even now, people still find themselves glued to their phones and laptops. The adoption of technology has changed the way we interact with others in our society, but more importantly, it has changed dating. The popularity of smartphones and social media allows us to get to know someone before meeting them, which means we are more quick to judge a person before getting to know them. Additionally, dating apps give people an easier and quicker way to find a partner, in which you judge them based on their looks and biographies to see if they would be a good match.

Today, single people are more likely to download Tinder than go on a blind date, because 'what if it's awkward?' Our society would rather talk to a person on Tinder before meeting them in person. About 40 years ago, my parents met on a double-blind date, in which they had mutual friends who introduced them. Since social media began, it's hard to imagine anyone agreeing to do this. It is hard to resist looking up a person before getting set up with them. With only a click away, we can find out almost everything about a person before meeting them.

Dating has almost turned into a 'game'. Every time one of my friends gets a match on Tinder, they get a buzz of excitement that causes them to want to get more matches. This continuous cycle of spikes of excitement causes more people to turn to online dating. Since we value "matching" so highly we tend to treat them more casually, which is why many real relationships do not come out of Tinder and other dating apps.

Relationships today are usually separated by a wall of technology. Partners can stay up to date with each other at all times, so they don't feel the need to talk as often in person. Many people depend on this when talking about difficult subjects because you're not face-to-face and it's easier to say the things you wouldn't say in person. This is an easy way for miscommunication to occur because it can be hard to interpret the message the way they intended it.

Technology has its perks for dating, too. Imagine you meet someone amazing at a bar, and everything is going great, but they tell you they live across the country and are only in town for a few more days. Because of technology and social media, couples are able to stay in contact with each other, even if they're thousands of miles away. Many people find long distance relationships terrifying, but there are multiple couples that I know personally that make it work.

So, I encourage you all to take a step back from the dating apps and social media platforms, and meet someone in person and find out who they really are-they may surprise you! We can't let technology get in the way of our personal relationships.