Tasting Flavors

Tasting Flavors

Old Navy Biracial Couple ad
15

Life is for enjoyment and spontaneous things. It's disheartening to be kept away from trinkets that we love, thing or people that we see as different and worth while learning about. However this is often the case, especially when it comes to family planning.

There is an underlying idea of keeping with tradition, staying within your race, within your culture and no diversity. Diversity is need. Yes, I said it, diversity is needed to strive in this world. Without diversity we are all, but the same, canvas' that has yet to be painted. It's about time this canvas gets some color.

Let us look back upon the Loving couple's story, he was white and she was black and everybody had a problem with it. Why? Because they were damn noisy, otherwise than that it was deemed "not right".

Okay, that was too long ago, I'll give another example. Just last year, 2016 there was a supposed defamation of a single race because of an advertisement. During Old Nay's attempt to promote their Thank You Event, they posted an image of a family in which there was a Caucasian man and a African American woman, with a son. Immediately, as seen today with Twitter, everyone began to comment on the post, even going so far as wanting to boycott Old Navy. Yep, you read that correct. An advertisement of a biracial family was seen as so controversial as it was the telling sign of "the genocide for the white race". To use the word "genocide" is just disrespectful and disgusting.

Why is it viewed as wrong to go out of ones inner circle, are people so afraid of change, that they shameless bash an advertisement?

This got so big that it became news in which Old Navy stood for what is right with a statement to TODAY: “We are a brand with a proud history of championing diversity and inclusion. At Old Navy, everyone is welcome,” (Old Navy Ad With Interracial Family Prompts Social Media Outrage — and Support).

The fact that it needed to be written about is just outrageous. Why, why should people be subjected to such stupidity and narrow mindedness?

Fifty years have passed since the Loving case, yet our mindset is still the name.

On a much lighter (pun intended) note, what's wrong with tasting flavors and actually loving it?

Old Navy's statement and screenshot was taken from the article, "Old Navy Ad With Interracial Family Prompts Social Media Outrage — and Support" written by Eun Kyung Kim.