Tarot Cards: Decked Out Spiritual Communication

A dive into Tarot cards, their significance, and their utility in spiritual guidance.

38

As human beings, we are often amused, bewildered, and/or terrified by the unknown. In many ways, we are often called into the unknown in more ways than we think. The uncertainty of everyday life, trying to predict what 2020's next plan on wiping us out will be, and even smaller things like when is the pizza place opening again? Much of this is unknown and that is what draws us in. However, there are more unknowns that have a tendency to be romanticized and enhanced for dramatic effect in popular culture, the potential of a spiritual world and constant guidance from the universe. The future is often uncertain and we tend to want answers in our present, and there are ways to do this. Some are of course what we all know about, fortune telling, palm reading, and even mediums who directly communicate with the spiritual realm. The universe guides us in many ways without us realizing it, but another avenue for learning this guidance is through a series of cards known as Tarot cards.

What are Tarot cards and what is special about them? While this is not a guide, it is still important to give a quick run-through for comprehensions' sake and to add in what I have learned through personal experiences with Tarot readings, though one can be found via this link here: A Beginner's Guide to Tarot Cards. In an entire Tarot deck, there are 78 cards that have their own unique meaning, imagery, and symbolism that all spell out the answers a querent (person asking for the reading) would seek. Tarot cards are simply decks of cards that are divided into two separate groups, the major and minor arcana. Minor arcana often deals with smaller themes of everyday life that can basically sum up the day-to-day life happenings one would expect. Major arcana is often dealt with the overarching themes of a large chunk of or an entire lifetime and these hold a much stronger significance during a reading.

Tarot cards are a means to gain insight into one's life and everyday situations via readings. In other words, they are useful in allowing people to make connections into themselves and others that they have never internalized or thought about until the reading. According to an article on Biddy Tarot, Tarot cards can hold a mirror to ourselves and show us the exact lessons needed to learn and master to live an ideal lifestyle. It is not uncommon to use Tarot as a means to guide us out of a troubled situation or to seek reassurance on a specific matter. This is typically a way that the universe communicates with those seeking to gain benefit from these readings, as is the common claim behind the cards' significance.

An example of a Tarot reading would be if one were to seek answers as to "what the rest of the year holds" for them. A reader would have to make a connection with the querent seeking the answers and draw out a specific number of cards (sometimes three cards, other times 5-7 depending on the reading). Depending on the cards drawn, their contents can either spell out a bleak future or a bright future for the querent's topic of question.

During my experience with Tarot, I had a general reading done on myself. The outcome of the reading simply stated that due to the current world situation, I feel strained mentally and emotionally due to loss of control over my own life and that the most important thing to do for the rest of the summer is to focus on my own mental health until I do regain some control of my life. Why I brought this up is because the exact situation and picture the cards painted for me were very reminiscent of my situation at the time and I felt a strange sense of peace realizing that I was not alone and that I possessed the ability to get myself out of the rut.

While Tarot is a neat and interesting way to get insight, an important detail to mention about these readings is that they are based on one's current path only and are not always correct about the future. What it means is that if someone were to be told by a reading that their relationship with their relative would fall apart due to lack of proper communication and old grudges, that same person could potentially get another reading that states the complete opposite situation as long as that someone takes action so they do not get the bad ending. Tarot is beautiful in that it still grants you agency in your own life and it reminds you of your free will. All Tarot ever does is give an insight while adding another perspective to view life via one's own everyday behaviors and current life choices.

If one were to ever experiment or get a reading from a Tarot reader or just to try it once with a group of friends and family, it would never hurt to give it a try. If anything, it can prepare you for the road ahead and enlighten you to look at yourself and important figures in your life from a different angle. It also teaches you that the universe has your back no matter what and you are to be trusted with your own destiny as the universe guides you into a better path.