Why The Tax On Feminine Hygiene Products Is Unfair

Are tampons now a luxury item?

78
The Daily Beast

Let’s talk about periods for a second. And no, I am not talking about the symbol that ends your thoughts and is the enemy of all run-on sentences. I am talking about the menstrual cycle. You know, that NATURAL bodily process that many women experience, usually on a monthly basis? I am talking about that oh-so stigmatized subject that makes your father shift awkwardly in his seat and glance away if ever mentioned in his presence. I am talking about that taboo that should never be spoken about publicly. AND if God-forbid, it were needed to be mentioned in a public-setting, then it should be spoken as stupid euphemisms that are so thinly-veiled and ill-disguised, it doesn’t even make sense to use them. I mean, how are we to believe your Aunt Flo visits you that often, yet, we’ve never met her? It’s the 21st century, for Pete's sake. Let’s call it what it is—Period, Menses, MENSTRUATION.

So I have a question for some of my female readers. To those of you who have experienced menstruation in your lifetime—tell me, do you view this biological process a luxury? Do you sit there in excitement and anticipation, happily awaiting this monthly caller? Do you enjoy all the “friends” that comes along with this caller, of which include painful cramps, sore muscles, and a headache of a mess?

I am going to go with a common-sense whim and say that most of ya’ll would answer that question with a resounding and confident “no.” Well, I’d just like to point out the fact that most state-legislatures will disagree with you. Thirty-nine states in America still tax tampons and other similar female hygiene products as luxury items. Of course, these state government bodies are obviously more qualified in determining whether or not tampons are nonessentials given the fact that all 50 of these bodies are dominated by men. Women make up only 24.5 percent of all state legislatures. So just a heads-up: for future reference, apparently bloating, fatigue, backache, and other period-related grievances are a “treat,” and therefore, tampons and the likes should be considered luxuries as opposed to necessities, and should be taxed accordingly.

For those readers who need further clarification on the mysterious ways of our taxing system, the following is an excerpt of an article from Fusion.

“…most states tax all “tangible personal property” but make exemptions for select “necessities” (non-luxury items). Things that are considered necessities usually include groceries, food stamp purchases, medical purchases (prescriptions, prosthetics, some over-the-counter drugs), clothes (in some states), and agriculture supplies. The lists of exemptions vary from state to state.

As evidenced by this excerpt, tampons are seldom seen as a necessity. Of the 50 states, five of them--Alaska, Oregon, Montana, New Hampshire and Delaware—do not have sales tax on any items, including tampons (cue a small feminist victory dance for that default win). Of the remaining 45 states, only six of them—Minnesota, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland and now, as of April 2016, New York—have actively passed legislation that takes away the luxury sales tax on tampons and similar products. (Thank you for finally catching up, New York).

[Disclaimer: New York no longer taxes tampons]

So, to the 39 states that are still immersed in a patriarchal fog, I say this:

Let’s put things into perspective, shall we? Most women who have periods will look to spend an average of about $3,000 on feminine hygiene products in a lifetime. For many middle-class citizens and especially working-class citizen, the added tax on these products can be seen as a burden.

In California, $20 million are collected annually from the tampon tax alone. Many young girls who come from financially-struggling households often find themselves missing school when they have their period because they can’t afford to buy tampons or pads. Additionally, homeless women frequently resort to using newspapers because they don’t have funds for feminine hygiene products.

I would like to interject here to applaud New York City in its passage of a bill on June 22nd that would supply free tampons to public schools, homeless shelters and jails—the first city in the United States to do so. This is definitely a milestone that needs to be mirrored on a nation-wide scale. It also sparks another important debate that is in dire need of discussion and implementation. If necessities like toilet paper and soap are provided for free in public schools, etc., then why aren’t tampons and menstruation products?

In regards to the tampon tax, Cristina Garcia, a California Assemblywoman, who is spearheading a bill in her state legislature to dismantle the tax, perfectly summarizes the difficulties women face due to the inaccessibility of tax-free tampons.

“Basically we are being taxed for being women," Garcia said while introducing the bill in January. “This is a step in the right direction to fix this gender injustice. Women have no choice but to buy these products, so the economic effect is only felt by woman [sic] and women of color are particularly hard hit by this tax. You can't just ignore your period, it's not like you can just ignore the constant flow."

(Edit: The California tax-free tampon passes out of Senate Committee on June 22nd )

The tampon tax is incredibly gender-biased and creates unnecessary hurdles for women who are on a tight budget and trying to make ends meet. These remaining states need to step-up and create a bill that ends this unfair tax once and for all.