Things All Tall People Struggle With

Things All Tall People Struggle With

The struggle is so real.

163
Things All Tall People Struggle With
Rebecca Jarrett

If you're above average height-- either slightly or significantly-- then every day can be a struggle. Common things can become annoying or frustrating, such as:

Riding in the backseat.

I don't know about you, but whenever someone who is shorter than me calls shotgun, I simmer a little inside. I guess me and my long legs will cram into the backseat. My knees are literally touching my chest, but it's fine.

Taking a shower.

Most of the buildings at my university were built some time ago, and it's a women's college. Seeing as women are not typically nearly six feet tall, all my showers are taken from a very uncomfortable crouching position. On the plus side, my legs have gotten a lot stronger..?

Standing at a balcony.

The height of the railing on many balconies that I have experienced-- whether at my university or at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre-- often come to hit me about mid-thigh, whereas they hit people of normal height around their hips. This is not high enough to make me feel secure; if I slipped I'd topple right over the edge.

Wearing heels.

Sometimes, wearing heels is a necessity. I'm not talking sensible elderly woman church shoes either-- I mean cute heels that are probably at least five inches. Which means I get five inches taller than usual, and everyone now hates me.

Riding on an airplane.

Airlines are getting more and more frugal, and allowing less and less leg room for their customers. Air travel is already enough of a living nightmare without adding sitting in a cramped space for the entirety of your flight. If we ever actually convert to the French model, tall people are screwed.

Sitting in pretty much any theater/auditorium/stadium that was built before tall people existed.

It is a fact that we are taller than we used to be. Yet seating in many public venues continues to force tall people to suffer. I didn't, in fact, go to the movies to feel like I was sitting in a clown car.

Twin beds.

Many universities provide twin XL beds (about 6.7 feet long). However, my university provides twin mattressses (6.2 feet long). While this may slightly save on space, it proves difficult for those of us who are just a few inches shy of being the full length of the mattress.

Hitting your head on things.

I won't lie-- sometimes I get distracted; I forget to watch for low-hanging objects and I get whacked in the head. Objects I have hit my head on include: tree branches, door frames, hanging light fixtures, and the ceiling (especially of cars).

Water fountains.

The water fountain struggle is so real-- I have to bend to about half of my height, and water always gets all over me. This problem is accentuated if I am wearing a dress.

Fetching things other people can't reach.

Any time the shelf is too high or the string to turn off the fan is too far away, people look to me rather than get a step-stool.

Pictures.

Full body pictures have to be taken from ten feet away if you want them to fit on Instagram. Mirror selfies? Next to impossible. Group pictures? You'll be in the back and you'll still get cropped out.

Kneeling in public.

If I go to the bookstore, the library, or even clothing stores-- anywhere where I need to read something on the lower shelves-- I might as well sit on the floor. Somehow everything I need is always on the bottom shelf.

Shoes.

This just in: tall people have bigger feet. Obviously; bigger feet are proportionate to taller people. I hate telling people my shoe size because they always look at me like I'm a monster. Stores don't tend to stock up on shoes my size, and I can pretty much forget borrowing anyone else's shoes. Speaking of which...

Clothes.

Where's the flood? Almost none of my pants cover my ankles-- unless I get them in the "long" size, which is typically just long enough that the hem touches the ground and gets ruined. Pick your poison with long sleeved shirts: the arms aren't long enough, or they're too baggy. It's a struggle. Also, it's very difficult to swap wardrobes with your friends when you're a giant.

"How's the weather up there?"

Just don't do it. It's not funny.

At least I'll never get lost in a crowd.